HybridZ

L6 to 4WD datsun tranny?

prelewd

Kind of a backwards spin on "hybrid z" but here goes:

I have an extra L6 motor and my buddy's dad needs a new motor for his early 80s datsun pickup.. I don't have a tranny for the motor and was wondering if his would work. There any other problems that would prevent me from doing this swap? Thanks in advance.

what nissan truck is it? Another clearence issue you come across is the front drive shaft to the front axle as in suspension travel, but I don't think this will be a big issue.

For engine clearence, you can alway indent the firewall but you probably need to get new drive shafts by that point, or if its moved in far enought you can switch the front and rear shafts.

Just saying what you might have to do if in doen't fit. Most likely it will fit.

I've thought about doing it too, but to a 2wd. (think lowered old school 'sport' truck :) ) I started looking at one in a wreckers a while back, and it would be a very tight squeze indeed. For the 2wd, that didn't seam like a big deal to me though, simply cut into the fire wall for clearance and move the whole engine/trans further back about 8-10". A side-effect would be better weight balance too I would think. (I had a 93 2wd w/V6 and it was quite tail happy) Being a 4x4 though, I don't know how much you could move the driveline back.. then you're into a lot more custom work, driveshafts, ect..

Yeah, you're biggest problem would be the oil pan clearing the front diff. It definatly won't work unless you make a custom oil pan and sump. You'll notice that the 4wd oil pan actually stretches around the side of the diff because the engine basically sits right on top of the diff. Not to mention the obvious issue of the L6 being longer.