HybridZ

300zx Z31 ecu and harness on 280z

Nismo280zEd

Ok i'm starting this thread so i dont' have a bunch of pms running around trying to make sense of things.

I'd like to try to graph the Z31 ecu and harness to my l28 280z.

From what i have gathered thus far with searches and pms. Is that it is possible, however I have to run a zx dizzy with black ignition box. Also use the reloctor wheel from the z31 in teh zx dizzy. As well as the zx oil pump shaft? I'm unsure as if I have to run zx injectors 260cc? or if i can run my stock l28 injectors 180cc.

Also... I want to do this to eliminate the AFM and I want a better efi system without spending the money for stand alone. Does the z31 use a tps sensor like the 280? can i graph into this or do i need to run the z31 tb and sensor as well?

I'd like to contain all the answers in this thread for future knowledge for anyone on the board.

-Ed

It is my understanding that you can run either:

the stock dizzy w/ z31 CAS (crank angle sensor) or

82-83 280zxt dizzy (CAS is built into the dizzy.)

It seems to be similar to the MSnS setup

I would think that you can run the stock injectors If haven't modified the engine other than this (wouldn't hurt to get some for later).

As for the TB I would just swap it for the z31 TB. The 280z tps is just a switch (on/off, not like the potensiometer of the 280zx and z31). You might need to get a adapter plate if you do this. Another alternitive is to get a 82-83 280zx or zxt TB they aren't the "switch" type tps and you would't need to get a adapter plate (like $60 from ebay I think).

It is my understanding that you can run either:

the stock dizzy w/ z31 CAS (crank angle sensor) or

82-83 280zxt dizzy (CAS is built into the dizzy.)

It seems to be similar to the MSnS setup

I would think that you can run the stock injectors If haven't modified the engine other than this (wouldn't hurt to get some for later).

As for the TB I would just swap it for the z31 TB. The 280z tps is just a switch (on/off' date=' not like the potensiometer of the 280zx and z31). You might need to get a adapter plate if you do this. Another alternitive is to get a 82-83 280zx or zxt TB they aren't the "switch" type tps and you would't need to get a adapter plate (like $60 from ebay I think).[/quote']The TPS for the Z31 is a switch as well. The 240SX used a potentiometer, but not the Z31 or 280ZX.

so i can or can't run the stock 77/78 dizzy and just use the Z31 CAS?
No, you must use the 280ZX distributor and oil pump shaft. It contains the optical sensor that runs the CAS in the ECU. An alternative can be the '81 280ZXT distributor and the '81 280ZXT CAS, but I don't remember if you need a different pump shaft for that.

Yes' date=' the slotted disc from the Z31 distributor. It has the number one cylinder slot double-wide as opposed to the disc that comes in the 280ZXT distributor. I'm not sure if it's needed or not, but it is easy to find and replace. And it's optically triggered, so the term "reluctor" isn't correct - reluctor applies to the stock 280Z distributor, inductively triggered.

You will need the 280ZXT injectors. If you use the factory 280Z injectors, you will run very lean as they only flow 180cc/min as opposed to 260cc/min.

The oil pump shaft is what turns the distributor, so in switching to the 280ZXT distributor, you have to change the shaft, as the shaft end is different. It's star-shaped, and the normal L28 shaft has just a slot.

You can use the same TPS switch on the 280Z throttle body.[/quote']

quoted from a PM

-Ed