HybridZ

Might be a stretch...

Guest Zlovin'

Okay im kinda new to this whole swapping deal and im not even sure if it would work but has anyone thought about swapping a 20b(the triple rotor engine out of a mazda cosmo) into a Z? I mean the engine is a beast but im not sure if it would fit.. just wondering, thought id get some ideas on that

clean lookin' swap with that 13b, I think I know what I wanna do with my Z(or another one) once the l28 is done for :twisted:, as far as I know 20b is legal where I live so I don't see any reason not to do the swap.. well besides the money and time thing :)

He's right. If you're REALLY carefuly you might match the gas milage of a V8. But put your foot into it and it'll SOAK up the gas.

Well, zlovin' I'm about 80% sure it illegal to put that motor in your car. But the good news is that I'd say it's a 90% chance you can get away with it.

would sit in a Z' date=' if you know what you're doing like awsome axilary here. He's got a clean swap coming along so far.

Too bad the 20B isn't legal in CA eh auxilary?[/quote']

ha its ilegal to mod you car at all

ha its ilegal to mod you car at all

I beg to differ. There a bill that was pasted a while ago that states that a car 30 years or more don't have to be I.M.ed or dymo'd. In the same bill it states that if a engine swap is done on a car its illegal to put a engine in older than the car itself and goes on to say that swaps with an engine 20 year in difference to the car doesn't have ti be I.M.d and that it will only need a dyno test and them be registered as a "kit car." I had the website(s) bookmarked but I can't find them ( so many bookmarks) I had al least 3 websites along with the Cali DMV where its states that.

He's right. But the 20B was never in a production car in the USA, so it wouldn't pass the dyno... suckage.

And any modification is legal, as long as it's CARB approved. There aren't really CARB associations with 76' and older cars so it's a grey area. If you had a 68' stang 302 and where running an aftermarket intake manifold and carbs, in theory there's nothing they can do about it. Any ticket you get for it you could fight, as long as your car passes the smoke law stating that a car must not exude smoke ever for more than 10 seconds, disqualificaiton could result in fixit ticket or direct action of the DMV.

This is how people get away with 600hp "street legal" cars. If it's newer than 76' then it's a whole different story.