HybridZ

Alternate forged pistons

Phyxius

• 3 weeks later...

According to http://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/enginedesign/ you can use RB26DETT Pistons however without other mods you're going to have 6.306:1 compression ratio. Again according to the link you can use the KA24DE which would require you to bore to 89mm and you'd still only have a 7.012:1 compression ratio. So nothing really practical that would necessarily save you some money. The compression is static compression fyi.

Tyson

ALthough, if you can find a piston from a 173 V6 morot from a 80-84 chev car, with sealed power part number L2492F It is power forged from the factory. I searched for this piston in the past, and it is NLA as a new product. WIth this piston, all you have to do is trim .085" off the dome, and bush the stock rod to .905" and it will work perfectly.

Offset the rod with use of the corvair piston is needed for the reason that the Corvair piston has a higher compression distance, and you cant shave enough off the piston, and still have a .200" dome thickness, so you put a bushing in the wrist pin end of the rod, but you offset the bushing to basicly make a shorter rod.

I collected this info from Wiseco a while back when thinking about 88mm pistons. I'd heard about some people using the Dodge Neon pistons.

88mm piston table

I've no idea though if an L series con rod little end will physically fit within any of the pistons, or maybe that's just not too important. Also the dome/dish on the pistons needs to be thought about, the +14 on the Skyline piston will no doubt include valve cutouts for the 4 valves. It could probably be machined flat though.

Cheers,

Rob

that's what bushings are for ;)

To use this piston, you'd have to have offset bushings and possibly take some material off the top of the piston. By the time you did that, you may have $500 in the setup if you pay someone to do it...so you'd be just as well to have bought some made for the engine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

Would the LZ22S piston be a good low cost alternative for my L28 crank/240 rods? 87mm bore, 35mm pin height and 9.33cc dish = 8.3:1, same as a stock L28 but with a different rod/stroke ratio also good for pump gas. It will be approx .5mm below deck, does it matter? Also, if I shave the piston flat would I increase or decrease compression? I'am thinking it might increase but since its below deck, thats were I get confused.

Cheers, Ari

The LZ22S piston is not designed for high RPM in fact I recall seeing in an article that stated they would be not good above 5000rpm. I am/was thinking the same my self, L28 crank, L24 rods and a piston with a 35.5mm pin height to give a better rod/stroke ratio much closer to the L24 ratio. Has anyone used the pistons from LZ20 or LZ22s and is the higher RPM an issue?