HybridZ

r200 stock on a 72 280z??

Guest traub83

This guy earlier has a 280z a 1972 for sale so I was like hey lets look at it, anyways I didnt get the chance to look under the car as I was sorta in a hurry but I had to look at it anyways. This guy is telling me he has had it since it was new and he ordered it special from nissan anyways the car is by far one clean car no rust anywhere and has the widebody kit on it, its sweet but anyways he goes on telling me it has a r200 differential in it stock, he said he paid extra to nissan motorsports and they put a r200 in it when he bought it? This dont sound right to me but then again im by far knowledgeable on ewhat came with what. but I was under the impression that r200's wernt made till like 78 but I could be wrong, Could this car have came with a r200 factory?? its an automatic car also that was setup for a 350 but no motor was put in he said but was all setup for it. The L28 took a shi* he said about 10 years ago and it has sat in his shop since and now its time to clean out and sell it. Im considering buying it but I am just currious on a lil history guys..

well for starters there was no 280Z in 72 only a 240Z and the 280z came out in 75, the R200 was in 76-78 i know, I'm not sure on the 75, you might want to get the vin number it sounds like this guy is confused, if it has a wide body look for rusr between the fiberglass outer fenders and the metal inners

Also check to rust on the floor boards underneath the car.

Other rust areas:

Trunk sill plate and trund door (where they meet when closed)

Rocker panels (tap and hear)

Spare tire conpartment

front and side vallance (body panels underneath the front bumper)

Vary front support of the hood

inner part of the doors (if possible)

***Totally incorrect info removed so there is no future confusion***

R180 was stock on the 240Z. It had 3.54:1 gearing in the automatic and 3.36:1 gearing in the standard 4-spd. I have a 1971 Nissan sales brochure a guy at work gave me that actually addresses this.

For future reference:

1970-1973 - 240Z

1974 - 260Z

1975-1978 - 280Z

1979-1983 - 280ZX

This is the way they were sold in the US. Not necessarily this way in other countries.

Traub is right about what he said. Nissan hadn't developed the R200 till 75 and to my knowlege the z432 had a R180 (Sports Z car with S20 engine (same engine that was in the skyline 2000gt and hada 2.0L L6 with Dohc and ITB [independent throttle bodies']))

Oh dear. What a mess.

The Fairlady Z432 and Fairlady Z432-R both came with the 'R192' diff ( plate-type LSD equipped ) from the Factory, until early 1973 - when the Fairlady Z432 model received the R200 ( also plate-type LSD equipped ). The 'R192' was known as the 'R190' when sold by Datsun Competition in the USA.

The R200 did indeed exist well before 1975......

The 'Skyline GT' was fitted with the L20A engine. You are getting confused between the GT and the GT-R models. The PGC10, KPGC10 and KPGC110 models were the only Skylines to be fitted with the S20 engine.

Production S20 engines that were sold to the general public were only ever fitted with three 40PHH Mikuni carburettors.

Hopefully this will now show up in the SEARCH function when you next use it......

Traub is right about what he said. Nissan hadn't developed the R200 till 75

Nissan never developed any of the "R" differential units. They were developed by Hitachi and were (are) available to various OEMs in many different ring gear sizes from 120 to 380... anyone looking for a H380?

wow i got a lot of info i wasnt expecting, so basically I need to stop and look at this car a lot closer. I know he said the rear was a special order from nissan and I believe he said there racing department had the rear and they installed it for him. so it could be the r190 right? I do know for a fact he said it was a 3.55 gear ratio if that helps roughly a 3.55 could be a 3.54 gear ratio he didnt seem to be super knowledgeable on cars but did mention some stuff he would only know if 1 he was pullin my leg or hes tellin the truth that thats what the dealer told him when he bought it. but like i said the car does look very good I didnt notice any body damage really at all but I will get a better look at it later this week and ill see if i cant ID the rear end a lil better or even better ill take my digital camera so you all can see what im talking about...

PS i just noticed i wrote a huge word block lol sorry guys..

My best guess for what this guy is selling you with this car is a R200 with a 3.54:1 gear ratio and the nismo LSD unit in it. R192 seems too rare to be in a Z, as is almost anything off a 432. The nismo LSD unit is available for the R200 and R180, and since both came with the 3.54 gear ratio. there is only one way left to tell what it is. (pictures...)

-Oliver