HybridZ

Anyone want my 10 second Roll Cage?

10_Second_Cage.JPG

Anyone want my 10 second roll cage?

"Some Assembly Required".

I had to cut it to remove it from the Z but with some fabrication and welding could be reused. It is NHRA legal for 10 seconds flat but not for 9 seconds. It is .095 or more mild steel but some welds have been ground down. It was custom built to fit my Z which has been back-halved.

Anyone interested needs to pick it up from my house....no shipping. I would prefer to give it to someone who has a fast Z and needs to cage it for dragracing.

Hopefully only one person will want it so I can give it for free but if there are others.....it's an auction.

Hanns

Guest spillicious

sup man...my friend and i are currently starting a 75' 280z v8 conversion and due to the high price of the conversion would love your freebie! also in california and would have no problem swinging by to pick it up if ya think it will be good use for our application. thanks a lot and looking forward to hearing from you.

It's nice to see you posting again, you must be busy getting the Z ready for 9 second times. I am really glad to see you taking this step, as I am quite confident your Z will run 9.50's at least. (traction permitting of course). I wish I was able to take advantage of your offer. Kick it up a notch!!

All hail Mr. Turbomeister!!!

Hanns' date='

What are you building to replace it? I want pics please![/quote']

I'm biting the bullet and having a shop install a 10 point chrome molly cage so I can finally run 9 second quarters. I'm not sure if it will do 9.50's since I'm still planning to use mufflers. I convinced my wife that the cage is totally a safety issue necessary for my well-being. She said, "can't you just slow down, you know you drive much too fast in the quarter mile for a man your age".

I said, " NO ".

My credit card will be screaming for mercy after paying for the cage.

I'm surprised that I didn't get more of a response from members regarding the cage and the member who wanted it has not shown up to claim it.

Hanns

Personally, I don't use plastic, if I ain't got it, it don't get spent. Besides, I owe enough as it is with the house and vehicles. Keep your fingers crossed a guy from Mexico is coming to look at my business and is interested in buying it all, lock stock and barrel. If that happens, I'll build another z, buy a semi trailer, paint the peterbilt and slowly visit everyone cause I'll have lots of time to spend.

Was that cage just too small in diameter then?

Personally' date=' I don't use plastic, if I ain't got it, it don't get spent. Besides, I owe enough as it is with the house and vehicles. Keep your fingers crossed a guy from Mexico is coming to look at my business and is interested in buying it all, lock stock and barrel. If that happens, I'll build another z, buy a semi trailer, paint the peterbilt and slowly visit everyone cause I'll have lots of time to spend.

Was that cage just too small in diameter then?[/quote']

what kind of pete you got? 379?

Was that cage just too small in diameter then?

It is 1.75 diameter Mild Steel but less than .135 thick and some of the welds have been ground down for a smoother look (not allowed).

I know what you mean about plastic but at my age if I don't do it now it will soon be too late.

Hope your sale goes as planned.

Hanns

Violacleff, check your PM.

Hanns,

Did you get tired of getting kicked off the strip everytime you went too fast? Are you going to get your competition license as well?

Looking forward to your sub-10 second roll cage and your new legal times. Can't you put on some sort of quick disconnect on your mufflers to squeeze your times down even more?

Hanns' date='

Did you get tired of getting kicked off the strip everytime you went too fast? Are you going to get your competition license as well?

Can't you put on some sort of quick disconnect on your mufflers to squeeze your times down even more?[/quote']

YES,YES, and if the tech staff allows it I might just run without mufflers, with only the downpipes attached to the turbos.

Hanns

I have an idea or two for a somewhat simple intercooler setup if you are interested, let me know.

I'm always interested in improvements.

However, the overall balanced look of the engine compartment must be maintained.

Hoses and tubes must be kept to a minimum.

No cutting into fenderwells or hood alterations.

Hanns

The peterbilt is a model 359, it has a 400 big cam 3 cummins turned up to 505HP, 13 speed, air ride, 3.70 rears. It's real clean and real dependable, just needs a new paint job. I can't help it, I hotrod everything I own. Did I mention that my lawnmower runs on race gas?......

Right before I die, I'm going to get some plastic and max them all out. Hope you all are into getting christmas go fast parts!

Hanns, what possessed you to build a cage that had less than .135 wall thickness out of mild steel in the first place? Didn't I read that NHRA had changed the spec's for roll cages? If so, then what are the new spec's calling for? How is this new cage going to differ from the old one? Going to add a funnycar style cage?

I can't wait to see a video of your car running 9.50's, but seeing it in person would be better. Work it baby!

Hanns, what possessed you to build a cage that had less than .135 wall thickness out of mild steel in the first place?

I bought the Z with the cage installed never knowing the actual thickness until I tried to get it certified. Also didn't know NHRA does not permit smoothing out welds on cages to be certified. The new cage will be 1 5/8th chrome moly but just a plain 10 point cage. However, I won't make any changes that will not allow me to drive the Z on the street.

Hanns

Mr. Hanns, Here is a link to this article I read. My idea is to use one cooler for each of the turbos. Mount the coolers to the fenderwells in front of the strut housings. The piping shouldn't be too difficult, although a little more involved than what you have now. http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0507htp_vortech/

Even if you don't find it useful, maybe it will inspire an idea of your own.

Good Luck on getting your cage done.