HybridZ

HPK suspension kit

anyone have pics of 280z's lowered with this kit? http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/tokico/details?part_num=HPK253&products=1&part_category=HPK%20Suspension%20Kit&specific_fit=1974%20-%201978%20NISSAN%20280Z&ajr_skey=49016c4d39d5f40c90a8ad3b7d1ba222 i was reading http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=102038&highlight=hpk about experiences with them. i understand the fronts are progressive while the back is linear? im not too sure what that means. i did a little search on progressive and states that as the spring gets compressed more, it takes more force to further compress it. im guessing linear means it takes the same force to further compress no matter how much the spring is already compressed? what does that mean in terms of performance? i dont track the car, use it for daily/weekend driving but i still want a low/firm ride (but still need to be able to get over the speed bumps) do i need to worry about sectioning with this setup? (i dont want the shocks to bottom out) or are they just a straight bolt one? i have a 78 280z pretty much stock engine. plz help! ty

correct. what it means in terms of performance is that you get a comfy ride on the street and better performance on curves.

downside is that you get too much bodyroll on low speed corners as the weight is tossed around. Suspension is also not as predictable as linear springs. They're essentially good for someone who wants to lower the car and retain ride quality to be decent.

That, and think about progressive geometry changing as you fill up your gas tank, or add a passenger.

If you're swapping out springs, there's no need to section strut housings. the strut housings are sectioned if you're lowering your car more than 2", and have to use shorter struts (not for 240/280z!) to fit the profile and retain the correct suspension travel without bottoming out.

Honestly, I think you're better off with just 4 linear tokico or eibach springs that fit stock

thnx for the imput aux. would something like this be linear? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-ILLUMINA-SHOCKS-SPRINGS-260Z-280Z-75-78_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQitemZ7999850883QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

but it only lowers by 1". would it be possible if i cut 1/2 - 1 coil off to get another .5" ? ive never cut springs b4

then don't start. do you NEED to have it lowered by that much? Do you care about the negative camber gain? Do you care about excessive tire wear? Do you want to shorten your suspension travel by lowering your car 2" and not sectioning your strut housings?

If you must lower it 2" get a set of coilovers with spring rates you choose, not some predefined configuration. You can run non-adjustable shocks with coilovers. figure $400 for coilovers that you can adjust yourself and choose how much you want to lower the car.

example:

originalz2.sized.jpg

originalz3.sized.jpg

Stock ride height above, on 205/60/15 tires

aak.sized.jpg

aaa.sized.jpg

aam.sized.jpg

Lowered with GC coilovers and NON-sectioned strut housings. Probably about 2" max. Tires are undersized at 225/50/15

yea i want something like that^^^ i wouldnt want anything lower. if the tokicos will give me that height without goin with coilovers then i'll be happy. i just dont want to go through the hastle of sectioning. but i also dont want my shocks to bottom out

• 1 year later...

Yeah I want it too!!

I have been searching and searching and getting more and more confused all the time.

I just want to lower my 280Z 2" wth springs and not have to section any struts or revert to expensive coilovers.

So what was the outcome of this thread, it just stopped.

Did the HPK kit work?

I know this thread is over a year old but this is what I am after as well.

Lower car 2" with new stiffer springs

put decent adjustable shocks in existing stock struts.

not be bottoming out or have no travel in the shock

Do I need bumpsteer spacers and how thick if I do

running 15" rims with 225 falken

Thanks,

Greg