HybridZ

Such a tragedy

patzky1

I actually saw that outside with my own eyes this morning, but i was wondering why there were two bright pieces and why the contrail was so wide from my vantage point. Turns out 10 minutes later when i went in what i saw was the shuttle breaking up as they indicated on tv. All i wanted to do was to see the shuttle live, i didnt really want to witness that. :(

I'm just blown away by itthis morning.. been watching the news since 10am. I will NEVER forget witnessesing the Challenger explode during liftoff, and I will NEVER forget the Columbia. The Columbia was the first space shuttle I ever saw at the Cape Kennedy Space Centre during one of many visits my family made to the centre.

Space travel is dangerous, and I hope they don't let this stop the progress of man in space.

My thoughts and prayers to the crew and their families.

I've just returned from ann unexpected 10-hour day at KSC working at impounding all the data generated during Columbia's processing for launch. I'm operations manager for ground telemetry and command systems in the Launch Control Center. The last time I did this was after Challenger's last flight and hoped I would never have to work that procedure again.

I've personally worked every Shuttle launch and have been choked up with pride watching each one. This is the only country on earth with the will and resources to sustain such a heroic venture as manned spaceflight.

I only hope that we can undestand the causes of this accident, fix the program, and go on from here.

My heart is heavy with grief for the loss of those magnificent Astronauts and for what their families must be going through.

I'm gonna get a couple drinks now.

Guest Anonymous

Rick, it is a heavey burden which you must bear. My heart just dropped as I heard the news this morning. I have always been a NASA geek, (my dream job would be putting the Shuttles together or working at the Johnson Space Center), and I always care and never complain about the work you guys do, and I feel the loss. It is easy for us to arm chair quarterback the reasons why this happened, loss of a large group of tiles maybe, who knows. I do know that you will do a great job and what you find out will only make it better for the next STS Flight.

Yes, my father flew 4 shuttle flights and was the 1st astronaut aboard MIR. I have also worked at NASA and KSC so I am very familiar with the tight NASA family. It was always difficult, no matter how confident I was, to watch my father blasting into space. My mother would always cry when he launched and would worry herself the entire time until his return. The atmosphere and the overwhelming sounds of a launch always made me realize how dangerous his job was. I told my wife I was sad for the families because of the anticipation and happiness I had always felt knowing my dad was coming home. I cannot imagine what they must be facing now that this has happened and can only offer my prayers to them.