HybridZ

propane for performance

Z24O

hi,

wondering if anyone has used this fuel(gaseous) for a performance V8 turbo application............it's popular here in australia for a cheaper fuel..........unleaded petrol/94 octane/US$4 a gallon versus LPG/110+ octane/US$2 per gallon.............but has a few advantages as i see it for HP turbo applications eg

more octane=higher compression=higher off boost performance=less knock/more advance on boost

gaseous already so no need for a big $ fuel(liquid) system capable of flowing 600HP

no need for full engine management system as no injectors(probably get away with a stand alone ignition retard unit....simple)...another big dollar/headache saver

cheaper to run ie less than 1/2 price

single point of entry fuel delivery in blow thru application(already under pressure when "injected")

anyone see any disadvantages(other than running out of fuel in a propane only application!!)

paul

western australia

240Z 302 windsor

Guest tony78_280z
single point of entry fuel delivery in blow thru application(already under pressure when "injected")
Interesting, so one doesn't need to super/turbo charge it, just turn up the pressure at the bottle? What kind of equipment is required to change a petrol into propane. I'd assume entire fuel delivery system from the gas tank to the injectors. Is there a kit for this?

You inject propane similarly to the way you inject Nitrous. You'd need a large propane tank, which would be much heavier than a gas tank. Plus, since Propane is a liquid while it's being stored in the bottle (undre high pressure), the pressure at the spray nozzle will vary based on ambient temperature. Hotter temp means more pressure. Though, you could run it through a regulator, but gaseous liquids like Propane, N2O and CO2 are notoriously hard to regulate. It's definitely possible, but you'd best have someone set it up who knows exactly what they're doing.

• 1 month later...
Guest oddball

I converted a 66 Mustang 289 to propane. As stated, it requires a big, heavy tank. This one took up almost the whole trunk. Advantages of propane: 1) engine runs incredibly clean. Felt like I never had to change oil because it never got dirty 2) Hardly any perceptible wear on engine components. Had to remove head once and everythign was sparkly clean. 3) No carb to fiddle with. 4) Propane was cheaper than gas at the time (80s). 5) All that extra weight of tank in the trunk made the car great in snow.

Disadvantages: 1) Big, heavy tank 2) No fuel guage. You have to have a pressure guage 3) fewer places to fill up and more hassle. 4) Not as good mileage 5) Not as much power.

• 1 month later...
Guest hotdodge440
You inject propane similarly to the way you inject Nitrous. You'd need a large propane tank, which would be much heavier than a gas tank. Plus, since Propane is a liquid while it's being stored in the bottle (undre high pressure), the pressure at the spray nozzle will vary based on ambient temperature. Hotter temp means more pressure. Though, you could run it through a regulator, but gaseous liquids like Propane, N2O and CO2 are notoriously hard to regulate. It's definitely possible, but you'd best have someone set it up who knows exactly what they're doing.

I work on Hyster forklifts ,and as of this year the new model forklifts have a fuel injected propane 2.4 liter GM 4 cyl. in them .

The injectors are very similar to the run of the mill gasoline injectors and are ran by computer closed loop type system.

The previous years have all been carbureted with vaporizers to convert from liquid propane to vapor .

I have as well ran propane in my 64 ford Falcon with 12.5 to 1 compression and a 4 speed ,it was a cool ,and interesting thing to tinker with .

If you have any questions let me know Im glad to help. Matt:-D