HybridZ

Radiant Heat --Stopping degredation?

Nismo280zEd

So i did some searches, came up with nothing on insulating heat inside the car. I know we had a thread before about vibration and sound dampening, but i do not recall any dealing with heat disipation and blocking radiant heat.

I'm mainly looking at two options.

Putting down a physical radiant barrier (RBS)

or

spraying down a barrier.

Does anybody have first hand information? previously i used house carpet foambacking with al, worked pretty good, but on long trips got hot, and it absorbed water which i'm trying to get away from. I'm going to install boat (waterproof) carpet and want everything to be waterproof on the floor.

-Ed

There are a number of commercial products that spray on as a lightweight coating that contain hollow ceramic spheres and claim up to R10-15, which is a measure of the resistance to heat transfer.... or something like that. Do a google search on ceramic insulation coatings or look at this site for one of many products. http://www.cerama-tech-int.com/Index.html

Wish you luck.

g

Guest 73Turbo240z
I ordered a roll from McMAster Carr, but I noticed that Home Depot also has it. I just cut to shape and used aerosol adhesive to keep it against the floorboards.

what name is it carried under @ home depot? some kinda roofing insulation?

I am actually in the process of this right now. After alot of research I had found there are several choices for sound and heat barriers. The price of some are outrageous. They ranged from $1-$10+ per sq.ft. Yes, some of the higher priced ones do better then some of the cheaper ones, but not enough to justify the cost. I used a product that was only about $1 sq.ft. that I need to use spray adhesive with, but the product was almost as good as the high dollar stuff for 1/5th the cost even after the $13 cans of adhesive. It looks just like what Tim used on his Z. Tim, how much was yours per ft.?

My back half is done now and I'm now stripping the tar from hell off the trans. tunnel. I will then strip the paint and por-15 the floor boards, tunnel and put the same material on them. The stuff is easy to work with and form to compound curves. Aluminum taping all the seams was recommended, but if the seams are tight I don't feel there is a need for it, except possibly for radiant heat. On the tunnel and parts of the floor board around the exhaust area I will be taping.

http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=7958

Reflective insulation for use in a crawl space, attic, wall, metal buildings, and post and frame structures. Fiber free, environmentally safe, easy to install, and it is lightweight. No protective gear needed to install. Reflects 97% of radiant energy.

161457_3.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0004744051.1127930116@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddfklmjjgdcgelceffdfgidgnj.0&MID=9876