HybridZ

True old-school ideas for a Z.......

Guest ON3GO

Ok, Whats some of your ideas for some True OLD SCHOOL styling for a Z?

I really want to build my Z with alot of old school style but also new school tech.

Ive desided on ZG flares painted a Gun metal gray color, with the rear panel the same color.

the car itself will be a blue of some type, pron Nismo blue or Skyline blue.

the rims will be a old style look witha polished lip and either a Grey center part or Blue like the car.

was thinking MSA front air dam without the ducts, and chromed stock bumpers without the Guards.

not sure about the side markers being shaved yet either.

also Euro Clear Turn signals are a must.

either old Fairlady Z emblems or the new emblems from the fairlady in japan (350Z).

not sure on mirrors.

also im kinda diggin the Clear Headlight covers.

I know ppl will say i prob know what i want really and i kinda do but im very open to other ppls ideas for the car.

any old school styling would be awesome.

thanks ppl smile.gif

mike

Louvers are VERY old school on this car, as are the vinyl "240Z" stripe on the lower doorsills. For a modern touch, do the logo stripe in clear pearl instead of vinyl.

Chrome mirrors are definitely old school, as are chrome bumpers. I wouldn't shave the marker lights or door handles, but I might update them with newer units. LED lights in the original style taillights are a good combo trick.

I like the original shape of the Z not to want to screw with it much. I think if you do too much to it with wings and spoilers, you run the risk of ruining the lines.

Keep us abreast of your plans!

well i figure this.

no marker lights at all.

Chrome bumpers w/o Guards.

Black hood, Black ZG flares, black ZG mirrors, black MSA front air dam w/o ducts, and black rear panel.

Clear head light covers..

still not sure about rims i guess.

Fairlady Z emblems (old style)

no wings or such...

i like the stripe idea.

heres a pic of how i want the car to look like thanks to mike castillo "DATTOZG"

My%2bPhotos%26.src= ph%26.view=t

My vision is similiar to yours and it's almost complete(this summer).It sounds and looks like you are going for the JDM/Old School Z look. Ebay can be your best bet to achieve this and remember that most of the time it is the little stuff that really makes the car. Be sure to plan everything out, make a list, and each time something on the list is done check it off. Its pretty much never ending and you can add/remove items as you please. You will be amazed at how this will simplify the process. If you get the side stripes im not so sure the fairlady emblems would be appropriate. It is kind of a mismatch, but its your car so it is your choice. Old school style wheels are a must. Watanabes, SSR, Advan, etc. Wheel importers can be found all over the net. As Scott said, "Louvers are VERY old school." Most definetly true. Dont forget about the interior either, unless you want to leave it be.

well i thought about the emblems and stripe thing just after i posted... not sure what to do...

i really want Watanabes but not sure where to find them.

interior is gonna have some new style in it.

Corbeau CR1 racing seats in red... i think with just the seats being red it will give a real JDM and different look.

the rest of the interior is gonna be black and prob some chrome.

Roll bar will be Blue though.

im really not sure what "little details" i can do thats very different though.

and yeah i know about the List of parts and etc..

i have about 1000 of them laying around with different ideas and such.

mike

Guest Anonymous

I have lots and lots of cooool ideas that I'm keeping to myself for now :D

Afterall, I would want to be the first to see my ideas on my Z instead of someone elses first lol.

However, I would not mind at all if someone copied me 1000 times over.

Hmmmmm now if I could just get that motor in there and buy my tranny, have a custom drive shaft made, etc, etc, etc.....lol

Guest Anonymous

Mike ..you young rascal...if you want to go old school and be the dunce,,,,,,,,,,,,, a white vinyl top is in your future. I do not know if it is old school but Rick Bowers' car is rather menancing stance in its dark color and flares.

Guest Dan0myte

That's exactly how I feel too. Doing up a Z car with full fibreglass bumpers, curved plastic sidemirrors, rear wings, etc. are completely against everything the Z is. A BRE style spoiler, plain front skirt, european chrome bumpers, chrome side mirrors, 15" (16" max) wheels, etc. That's the ticket. :cool:

here is what i have in mind for mine.

black body

dark grey ZG flares

dark grey bumpers

G-nose

chrome fender mirrors

dark grey hood

really low

clear front markers

remove side markers

replace amber in tail with red

maybe a small dark grey lip spoiler.

i love the g-nose, but its alot of money and plus i like the air dam w/o the ducts alot too.

anybody know where i can get wantabee rims forsale? and also the ZG mirrors?

mike

Guest 280Tom'z

im goin for Redline Red, ZG flares, fiberglass bumpers, my front airdam (like Pete P.'s) watanabes with gold centers, shaved side marker lights,a CF hood if i can everfind one, shaved emblems, and my headlight covers

well im at least dreaming!!!! burnout.gif

these are my planned exterior mods for my 280z:

-2003 350Z Daytona Blue

-Watanabe RX-8 (10 in rear, 8.5 front)

-ZG flares painted gunmetal to match rear panel

-custom front grill

-Euro bumpers

-MSA 240Z front spoiler w/o lower ducts

-432R style spoiler

-chrome fender mirrors (mounted in the stock location on both sides)

-custom LED taillights

-and a huge HKS intercooler chilling behind the grill. burnout.gif

Guest 240hybrid

I appreciate the original look of the Z...I believe the only aftermarket alterations I'll be making is a airdam(50-1402) from MSA, Wheels,looking at rear spoilers. I haven't found one that I like though. All the rear spoilers seem to break up the fluidity of the rear fenders and look too much like a add on. MSA did offer one in their older red/black catalog that I liked(50-1571), but has been discontinued. I like the BRE style for originality. As for flares I'll probable go with very subtle flares just to compensate for wider wheels/tire selection. just my opinion on the matter though. 2thumbs.gif

Guest JAMIE T

It looks like I have alittle bit of a head start on you guys. My '71 has had ZG flares since the early 80's. I put the Fairlady Z Fender mirrors(in chrome/stainless) on last summer. The car is Pewter with satin black flares and airdam. It has old shool Centerline Autodrags on it right now. I have OEM Fairlady Z emblems for it, but I'm gonna wait until it gets restored before I put them on. I need to take some pics of it, I promised some to DattoZG anyway.

So far I have purchased the front, side, and rear body pieces from MSA for my 75. Oh and of course the BRE rear spoiler.

I would have gone back with the original bumpers if the 75 280's were not so damned big and ugly!

In my opinion one item that was mentioned early on in this topic is definately old school, :D and that is the louvers!