HybridZ

Porsche Hybrid project

Guest ON3GO

I know theres a few porsche guys on this site.. so i hope i can get some info from you guys.

Im going to be building a project for my dad in the near future, this is if i move back to florida. it would be most of his money, and me and him would be doing it together. he isnt the type of guy that goes out racing and etc etc. hell he barely drives his Z06, but he always tells me that he wants to try some events and driving schools if and when i get back. like a father and son thing.

now he loves porsches, i do also. I love building crap, and enjoy hybrids.

im all for the porsche engines and etc, i just dont care for the CIS crap, and parts are pricey, i should know as i work on them everyday at work.

now the idea for this car is i want to use a LS1/T56 in the porsche, i just dont know what porsche to use.

now i like the 914.. sorta bug'ish, cheap, never would imagine a 400+ LS1 V8 in the back.. plus its soooo light.

now on the down side its sorta ugly but different, and it just doesnt have the class the other porsches have.

now the other porsches i like are the 911 series but i ONLY like the ones with the wide wider rear. i know the older 911's had no flare really in the back, the they went to a slight flare and some models like the turbos and turbo look's had the wide flares i love.

i just dont no what years and models to look for.

i know the early 70's ones had the slight flares, but i see some also with the wide rear end.

i THINK i want the 930 widebody.. like this.

Porsche__6_.JPG

now also isnt there a fiberglass and even a all metal widebody kit you can make your 911 look like a 930???

would it be smarter and cost affective to just buy a real widebody car in the 1st place?

i dont need info on the LS1 swap, that i found out already and i think its gonna be fun!

mike

LS1's and 911's don't mix as far as I've ever heard. Where are you getting your LS1 swap info from? 911 or 914? It's been a while since I've looked into Porsche's so fill me in!!

Anyway 930's can drive some high prices and there alot of 911's from the 70's for cheap. As you might already know a 70's 911's can look just like a 96 twin turbo with a kit.

This is a 74'

car05sale01.jpg

914's can look really mean with a few different kits there is a couple that get rid of those nasty bug eyes. (the kit's not crap the door is just open)

jay_darden-914.jpg

BTW: have you seen the guy using a TTV6 Audi in a 914? Oh and if you need links LMK or track down those pics!!!

Isk

According to this sight Chevy V8's do work. http://www.renegadehybrids.com/main.htm

Must say I do like this 911 http://www.renegadehybrids.com/customer_files/RandyHill.html

However my personal preference is the 914 with a 400hp light LS1 is an easy 9 second car. Add some suspension, a good widebody kit nice and sexy. It will be my next project once i get money and am on my own :)

You could even go this extreme http://www.v8914.com/

Hope you enjoy the links and keep me updated.

Tyson

I was refering to 911/LS1's or even 914/LS1's. Plenty of SBC's have been done even some a LT1's.

I like the 914's better too. Now I've tracked down the Audi guy I was talking about. It's a 2.7L w/ a Boxster 5 speed http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=32137&st=0

Isk

Just found a LS1/911 http://www.toy-jet.ls1fun.com/index.html

HAHAH yeah its a little out there. Never seen it in person and yes i do agree gotta git rid of those bug-eye lights. I guess the one second way down on the left is the bravossa http://www.renegadehybrids.com/914customers.html needs a couple of designer touches to look good. I don't like leaving things stock I guess thats why i hang out here.

Tyson

Mike, I think a V8 Porsche would be a cool thing to do. I like the 914 for the mid engine layout, but a 911 would be too cool as well. Here is another link to Rod Simpson Hybrids http://porchev.com/index.html

porchev3.jpg

The only thing that kept me from doing a Porsche swap was the cost; Datsuns are that much cheaper...

Davy

Am I the only person when I read this thought "hrm, an LS1 into a 944, 928, or other front engine porsche would be pretty easy"

It would already have a radiator, the engine bay large enough for a good sized V8, and a transaxle already in the back. I know the older rear engine stuff is lighter, but I wouldnt mind a little luxury or ease of swap into one of the front engined cars.

well Kenny.. i have a 928S im putting a LS1 into but i doubt ill finish it.

running full C5 drivetrain and once done will be cool.

i just love the mid and rear layout alot more, plus ive always been a 911 lover since day one!

ill keep ppl updated, and really REALLY thank you for those links, i didnt even know of some of those!

mike

Mike - That white car you posted above is a wide body and more than likely a Turbo car.

You can tell the wide body with the black triangular fender guards, although some owners remove them over time.

You can get (whats considered) a narrow bodied car like the regular Carreras, Targas and SC and do some extensive surgery to put the flares on the rear, but my recommendation is to buy a factory wide body and save yourself a ton of grief and expense. You can get a factory wide body either in a regular Carrera, Targa or SC (this was an option) or of course a turbo.

Many people have done the LS1 swap into a 911 with great results and a good way to stick it the damn purists!

I have lots of links and pics if you like.

Yasin

well Kenny.. i have a 928S im putting a LS1 into but i doubt ill finish it.

running full C5 drivetrain and once done will be cool.

i just love the mid and rear layout alot more' date=' plus ive always been a 911 lover since day one!

ill keep ppl updated, and really REALLY thank you for those links, i didnt even know of some of those!

mike[/quote']

Why not finish the 928? Sounds like a cool project, and I love the look :

slide06_lg.jpg

they make metal and fiberglass widebody flare kits mike. It's really not an issue, just make sure you buy a 74 and up model (long wheel base) pre 74 (the years i want) are a shorter wheel base and have the curved hood. Since your going to scrap the engine anyways look for a 75-77 those are the most undesireable 911's to have as the 2.7 litter liked to self destruct, however I shouldn't have to tell you this. Carrera models have the wider rear flares, turbos are even wider. Like I said though, it's really easy to weld on some fender flares bro, plus then you can go as wide as you want.

Just makes me want to cry to think of a 911 being destroyed for domestic pleasure

---die hard 911 enthusiast---

-Ed