HybridZ

E=mc2 100th Anniversary

johnc

Today is the 100th anniversary of the publication of Einstien's famouse equation E=mc2. But, that's not the actual equation he published. For the physics afficianados on this board:

1. What was the original equation published?

2. How do you get E=mc2 from the original equation?

Today is the 100th anniversary of the publication of Einstien's famouse equation E=mc2. But' date=' that's not the actual equation he published. For the physics afficianados on this board:

1. What was the original equation published?

2. How do you get E=mc2 from the original equation?[/quote']

Gasoline=Mileage*Cash^2

So true, even today.

Motivation=Nagging*Complaining^2

The E=mc^2 form is for when the object/particle is at rest; the more general form is E^2 = p^2*c^2 + (m*c^2)^2 (the "energy-momentum relation) for arbitrary velocity.

The definition of "total energy" is E = rho*m*c^2 = K + m*c^2. The first is the one that really shows mass as energy (and versa-visa).

The "energy-mass equivalence" form is E = (m*c^2)/?(1-(u^2/c^2)). Is that the one you're talking about?

Ahhh relativity, he should of just kept all his findings in a box marked "dont open untill you can go the speed of light." Twin paradox theory is also a mind blower, Einstein didnt really come up with that I guess, so I cant hate on him for that. Anyways, happy bday e=mc^2 and thanks for giving me something to major in I guess.

http://www.phy.anl.gov/limits04/Abstracts/Sharma_abst.pdf

Einstein wrote "mass diminishes by L/c^2", where L is used instead of E to represent energy, and if you multiply both sides by c^2 you get the formula we're familiar with. And yes, Einstein's Generalized Mas-Energy Equation is a derivation of previous work.