HybridZ

280z Rear Quarter Panel??

RedFive

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I've been reading posts here now and then, but I never registered.

Anyways, I've been looking high and low for a left rear quarter panel section so I can weld it in to fix the dent in my '76 280z. I've looked on ebay, other z websites, classifieds, etc, etc. Nothing. The Z junkyard obviously has one they want to sell me, but I'm a college student and I'd rather buy it from someone who has less overhead than a junkyard (i.e. somebody who doesn't want a bazillion dollars -- if you can imagine that being a number).

Anyways, here's a photo of what the po did to it. He said it was a blowout. :neutral:

280zdent.jpg

Basically I would need a piece cut from the bottom up to the side marker light and from the rear corner forward to the back side of the wheel well, if that makes sense.

Also, I don't want to just weld random sheet metal in there, I want to do it right, not mickey mouse. And no, the 10 inch patch panel that people make isn't big enough. At an undisclosed z forum, people kept suggesting I do all these different things, and all I want to do is replace it with what used to be there.

Also, if you guys have any suggestions on how to go about this, I'd most appreciate it. But first, I have to find the metal!

Thanks in advance!

Logan

The junkyard down in Phoenix quoted me $125 without shipping. Now i'd either have to have them ship it up here to Northern AZ or spend and hour or so driving down there. So less than that. Somebody else offered it to me for free if I'd pay shipping, but turned out he only had the right side. Another guy wanted $50 bucks, but he said somebody came and bought it. So...you know...what are you offering?

And how about rust and condition of the piece? Is it A-okay?

It's pretty torn up on the underside where it's bent over. If it was just the dent in the side, I would have done it. But that fold underneath would require more skill than I have in that dept. I've done a fair amount of welding on my Jeep, so I'm okay with it. Plus, bondo is going to chip. Kitty hair might not, I don't know, but if that tire throws a rock up with enough velocity, there's gonna be a chunk missing. If it's a solid metal panel, I'll probably just be missing a little paint. Plus I have a fiberglass skirt I want to put on the rear that's not going to want to bolt up to bondo on the inner side of the wheel well.

Although I never cut any panels out like this before, so...some suggestions would be nice. It looks like it's double walled...?

I did it on my ZX... I cut patches off a donor car, trimmed them, and replaced my rusty piece with the new metal. Yes, it is double-thick at the wheel well. Basically after I cut all the rust out I determined it was too effort much to make a metal patch for the void in that area, so I'll just fiberglass it. I used an offset and punch tool to make the panels level. Then I ground down the spot welds and smoothed it all out with bondo. Here's what it looks like today:

IM001488.sized.jpg

Pictures of the work start here:

http://z.modeltrainguide.com/gallery/album15?page=4

• 3 weeks later...