HybridZ

l28et boost?

chrismoose17

hey man u dont have to be a dick about it but im just saying that its been done and pretty much everybody on this forum said 18psi is max to run on a stock T3.

anything more and its just blowing hot air.

18psi set on from a roll is around 15-17psi off the line.

mike

Easy Mike :wink:

Perhaps a little sarcastic, but reading between the lines, he has a valid point. People have run that high a boost on the stock T3. Jersey is a good example. Thumper has gone through a handful of turbos running that much boost for an extended period. I think the idea is that we shouldn't be recommending that people run 18 psi onthe stock T3. I would recommend no more than 15 psi on the stocker. Any more than that, and an upgrade should be in order. Even a compressor side from a Buick GN would be a relatively inexpensive upgrade. Another thing to consider is that even a T3/T4 hybrid turbo will not necessarily be able to run 18-20 psi for extended periods without a 360* thrust collear. I had to rebuild a T3/T4 hybrid turbo twice before learning that lesson.

if your in the gas and roll onto WOT and you build say 18psi..

if you go WOT with not being in the gas before WOT, then you will build your true boost.

did this with thumpers Z and when we dialed in his boost from a dead stop we had it at 15-17psi.. when he was going say 60mph on the highway and layed into it, it would go past 18psi almost near 21psi.

Thumper used all junkyard turbos with unknown history on them and ran 18psi+ in most cases. all those turbos were beat to hell when he bought them and he also beat the crap out of his more then most, so i wouldnt use his cases as much as say jerseys... i havent heard of him blowing a turbo yet.... and he is near the 11's on a stock T3.

mike

if your in the gas and roll onto WOT and you build say 18psi..

if you go WOT with not being in the gas before WOT' date=' then you will build your true boost.[/quote']

Did you mean `If you go WOT with not being in the gas before WOT, then you will NOT build your true boost'?

That should definitely not be the case. The wastegate is set to open at a specific pressure, what pressure that occurs at should not change.

I think what you're talking about is that a turbo takes TIME to spool up. If you're holding your engine at 3000 the turbine will be spinning a lot faster than if you're sitting there and rev it from idle to 3000 with a quick jab. That make sense?

I'd be questioning whether that wastegate was working properly, and whether it hit 18psi early and held it when you were driving along, or was it gradually building the whole time?

EBC if you're doing it properly.

Dave

on thumpers Z if we were in the gas and then floored it and say it went to 18psi..

then if we were drag racing from a dig, once going threw the gears and then looking at the boost gauge it was a lower boost.

that was with a EBC and then also with a reg MBC..

mike

well if we set the boost at 18psi off the line, like going WOT all of the sudden and not being on the gas before hand, and then later on did a roll run it would run higher boost..

mike