HybridZ

Brake Upgrade swap options??

Guest traub83

Guest traub83

Well while I sit and decide my next motor build up, I felt I might as well upgrade the brakes on my Z. Im running all stock stuff minus new performance pads bought from autozone. anywho I dont really wanna drop 6 grand for the coil over suspension and wilwood brake kit from ArizonaZcar.com

I remember somewhere people were swapping on the Mustang Cobra brakes and I think also the 300zx brakes?? whats all involved with doing such swaps and what swaps are out there to save a few pennys on the brakes, cause the stockers just arnt gonna hold this beast when im 130mph at the end of the track I just want a lil extra security know what I mean?? Thanks for you guys help in advance and yes I did search thats where I pulled the 300zx and cobra swaps from just I couldnt find any more info on how to do them and what all I will need and such!! and if there were any other swaps out there.. Id want this for the front and rear of my Z.

Guest traub83

thanks, after doing a lil more searching I did find what I was looking for. I guess I should not have panic'd lol I think im going to go with the toyota 4x4 swap and the disk brake rear swap from the 280zx. That should do me plenty since I just want a lil extra security at the track and on my drives around town!!

Glad you found the help you needed. I was thinking "hmmm this guy is going to think I am a jackass", hehe.

BTW there are two kinds of toyota calipers

"S12W" has four large pistons. these will need 4-lug N/A Z31 300ZX rotors that are vented. You well need spacers, IIRC, consult Modern-MotorSports.com about the spacers required. "S12+8" has 2 large pistons and 2 small ones, these run on stock Z solid rotors.

:twak: There are four opitional calibers (Toyota) that fit the Z. Ths S-12 or S-12+8 will fit the solid 240z rotor with 14" rims or bigger. The S-12W and the S-13W calibers will fit the 300ZX rotor with 15" rims or bigger. I have used the S-12 setup with solid rotors/14"X7" western minilight wheels. But right now I am using the S-12W calibers with the 300ZX rotors with the 280ZX rear rotor/calibers on the rear with 16"X7" rims. Also go with the 15/16" master cyclinder fron the early 280ZX. You can add the adjustable brake bias to the system or just remove the brake bias assembly from the rear brake system (above the rearend on the passenger side)(bend the line over to the other line and reconnect). Then bleed the whole system. Good Luck, Rich.:-D