HybridZ

question about illuminas

hi, i just got my set of illumina shocks + tokico springs that i ordered from jdmwerks. a couple of questions.

just to double check the rear springs are longer than the front right? with my other cars its the other way around..

and another thing is that in the rear illumina's there's a 2" metal tube at the bottom of the shock. can it be cut shorter to allow more travel for the shock? anyone have these and done that? thnx!!

That 2" you describe is a spacer because the shock is designed for multiple applications. I wouldn't cut the spacer. I don't think that you would benifit from doing so. Shocks are designed to have a certain travel. Can't say which is front or back but the Tockico blues I got had a f and r on the spring.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

stock the z cars have a length difference between front and back of 2".... the strut in the rear is the same as the front strut but tokico adds a 2" spacer to soak up the difference in tube lengths.

Guest Speedyblue

No, it will mean that your shock will have 2 inches of travel inside the strut tube, which is very bad. If you were to cut off the spacer, you would have to shorten the strut tube by the same amount to get a tight fit again. With those springs, you won't need any extra travel anyway, so keep it simple, install them and enjoy.

ok. thnx for the info guys. now onto bump stops.. i removed the front suspension/swaybar/rack/etc etc today and when i took out the spring and shock... there was no bump stops... instead little round rubber boulders.... lol i dunno wat the previous owner did... damn. so where can i get some bump stops? dealership or can they be ordered online? and do i need to cut the bump stops? according to the manual with the shocks, it said to cut the bump stops to allow more travel? thnx

I bought generic strut boots at my local auto parts store, about $15 ea. and they came with bump stops. You want strut boots anyway to keep dirt away from the strut pistons and protect your warranty. The bump stops were about 2 inches tall. I can't say whether or not you need to cut them because it depends on the spring height. I didn't and have used them on stock and Suspension Tech springs and have had no problem.

j: yea i think they are included. bump stops arent required? does that give me more travel? i think the bumpstops are close to 2', so i'll get 2' more travel i suppose. but then if i bottom out..... the shocks are toast lol

Sorry, badly worded on my part. Bumpstops ARE required. Strut boots are not. I warrantied a Tokico strut and they never had any questions about boots, and I don't think that the boots do anything significant in preventing strut failures, nobody I know runs them.

I cut down a set of Energy Suspension poly bumpstops, so I get a little more travel, but you'll want them so the car doesn't "slam" if you do bottom out. As for the rubber boots, most of the shocks have a scraper built into the seal, so dirt can't get in there. So, it probably won't make any difference whether you run them or not. I haven't run them on my cars for over a decade.