HybridZ

700r vs 200r (VSS or gear)

I know that this topic has been covered several times but I would like the avoid the several days of reading. I don't know how to narrow the threads down.

We are building a second 260Z and this time we are using an auto tranny. My 7th edition JTR manual doesn't seem to cover my question relating to speedometer connection. Do all 700-R4's have a speedometer connection. I thought some had a speed sensor. I just ordered the speedometer cable from JTR on the last one (5 speed manual). I would hate to have to get an electronic speedometer.

I will use a 200R if I run across one but 700's are more available. This Z will be even lower performance(305) so any tranny should be adequate.

Any info here would be appreciated.

Louie.

not quite sure I understand what you need. If you are just looking to connect the tranny to the Z speedo, all you need is the right cable, assuming you already have the drive gear and assembly. If you are looking to send speedo data to an ECM, then you need a VSS and JTR can tell you exactly which one you need.

not quite sure I understand what you need. If you are just looking to connect the tranny to the Z speedo, all you need is the right cable, assuming you already have the drive gear and assembly. .

That's exactly what I'm asking. I know that the 200 has a mechanical speedometer connection so my question is "Does the 700r4 also have provisions for a mechanical speedometer gear." Do I need a special drive gear or assembly or do all 700 transmissions have them.

I don't have a transmission right now so the real question is "which overdrive transmission should I look for." I'm looking for ease of installation and cost/avialability. I would go for a 200 but they are harder to find then a 700(at local salvage yards).

Louie.

Does the 700r4 also have provisions for a mechanical speedometer gear.

yes. i recommend reading up on this site: http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml you will find details about tv cables and what speedometer drive gears (based on differential ratio and rear tire size) you will need on this site. very good reading for anyone wanting to install an overdrive.

Some of the output shafts on later models are not as good for doing mechanical speedo. All covered not in the JTR Z manual, but the JTR TPI/TBI swap manual. Some have one or the other. The 86 Trans Am TH700 I have has an electronic speedo sender, but it is easily swapped for the gear driven one. Personally, if you do not already have the trans, I would go with the 200. If you are going to pay to have either one built, price is about the same. But the 200 is shorter allowing a longer driveshaft, and it has much more realistic gear ratios, especially in a super light car like a V8 Z.