HybridZ

Changing oil in the Mazda 3 sucks

auxilary

I always thought it was only if they get clogged. Obviously only when a large pressure drop exists across them. They all do it so there must be a good reason for it. There are enough 300+ thousand mile vehicles running around with spin on filters that it is kind of hard to claim this is a poor design.

I just recall that when I worked on Porsches my boss used to make fun of idiots who put Fram PH8A filters on their 911s because the 911 runs over 100 psi oil pressure and my boss was saying the Fram bypass valve was set at ~50 lbs. So basically these guys were getting very little filtering at all.

I agree that it is not a weak link, but that spring pressure is specifically the reason I don't buy junky filters.

I just recall that when I worked on Porsches my boss used to make fun of idiots who put Fram PH8A filters on their 911s because the 911 runs over 100 psi oil pressure and my boss was saying the Fram bypass valve was set at ~50 lbs. So basically these guys were getting very little filtering at all.

I agree that it is not a weak link' date=' but that spring pressure is specifically the reason I don't buy junky filters.[/quote']

Well, not to nit pick, but is it the absolute oil pressure or the pressure drop due to the oil flow across the filter?