HybridZ

Microtech VS Haltec

Sparky

well gang,

the time has finally come and I would like to make my decision by Oct 29th.

specs on the car:

painless harness

T04B 60a/r

370CC SVO injectors

kamikazi FP

aeromotive regulator

large FMIC

2.25 piping for intercooler

3 inch exhaust

HKS MBC

stock engine

I would really like to see 250-300hp out of her while being incredibly reliable. I don't have a laptop, but could add a cheap used on into the budget if need be, although I do like the microtechs handheld controller and ability to switch maps on the fly.

I feel for those power levels coil packs and associated are not really needed and I cant stick with the 83 turbo Dizzy. feasible? I've also heard that haltec's US tech support blows, and their product is sometimes finicky...havent heard anything bad about microtech though.

I would really like to hear from actual users or installers on this on as its a large chunk of change for me to dish out and I want to make sure I made the right decision for me.

thanks and goodnight.

EDIT..just wanted to say that YES I searched and am still searching. going through all the info presented to me. just wanted an opinion on my particular setup!

microtech VS haltec

GO!

I've also heard that haltec's US tech support blows' date=' and their product is sometimes finicky...havent heard anything bad about microtech though.

[/quote']

I find it interesting that the opinion would be quite reversed in my experiences in Australia. Haltech being medium range almost keeping up with the big boys and microtech being more of a budget option.

I find it interesting that the opinion would be quite reversed in my experiences in Australia. Haltech being medium range almost keeping up with the big boys and microtech being more of a budget option.

this was last year when I heard that, I also heard that there is no longer US tech support for haltec. (?)

the person that told me about this (besides me reading about it on this board) is a friend of mine that has one of the fastest turbo Z cars in the state, along with one of the most original restored real RHD fairlady Gnose cars. he's no slouch, and knows his stuff so I take his word seriously.

of course he is just one person, It would be wise of me to get several perspectives and weigh each one against the other. im trying to be an educated consumer.

Compare the spec sheets is all I can do:

http://www.haltech.com.au/downloads/e6x_spec.pdf

http://www.microtechefi.com/IMAGES/spec_sheets/Microtech%20LT12s.pdf

Haltech has 32x22 maps for fuel/ignition, Microtech has 16x16.

Haltech has 4 PWM outputs, Microtech has 2.

Both have 4 ign drivers.

Both have 8 injector drivers.

Both have plenty of fuel and ignition correction maps though the Haltech looks like it doesn't have MAP correction on the ignition which I find hard to believe. Stupid 1 page spec sheets.

Dave

Guest 260ondubs

I am on a stock NA bottom end.... with a Haltech E6X with 240rwkw.

It is working beautifully and safely. I could not recommend Haltech more. I don't know about US support services, but here in Aus. there is plenty of good options if something goes wrong (which is doubtful).

Looked at your specs and yeah, your power should be achieveable, maybe only injectors being the limiting thing. (only maybe, but probably they'll be fine)

Vote 1. Haltech!

I am on a stock NA bottom end.... with a Haltech E6X with 240rwkw.

It is working beautifully and safely. I could not recommend Haltech more. I don't know about US support services' date=' but here in Aus. there is plenty of good options if something goes wrong (which is doubtful).

Looked at your specs and yeah, your power should be achieveable, maybe only injectors being the limiting thing. (only maybe, but probably they'll be fine)

Vote 1. Haltech![/quote']

nice numbers! how long have you been running that setup? can you give me some details on your engine setup? ie what head on the NA block, injectors turbo etc?

thats two votes for haltech thus far. two for microtech. hmmmpf.

Guest 260ondubs
nice numbers! how long have you been running that setup? can you give me some details on your engine setup? ie what head on the NA block' date=' injectors turbo etc?

[/quote']

Thank you Sparky.

The car has been running this way for about 4 months now. It's behaving nicely and performing great.

I have an E88 head with a little work to it, F54 block with dished pistons..... (pretty sure it's all NA in there. Aus only got NA engines), injectors are 550cc Bosch units, turbo came off an ex-race car... looks to be an RX-3 sized IHI turbo from Japan. Not sure on the specs.... just took as much off the racemotor that I could!!!

Use whatever system you want. Do some research into which will be easier to wire up for ignition inputs. Turbo dizzy is optical?

Dave

Believe me I'm not making my decision on how many "votes" I get, I'm just trying to get actual users to tell me their experiences, positive and negative so that I can add a bit of info into my final research.

I've looked at the TECIII and ruled it out because it was too expensive and expansive for my budget. I like the SDS units, but they can start to get a bit pricey when I look at the exact unit I want to run, plus the fact that I cannot use a laptop with it, only the hand controller. MS was a possibility early on and I even came very close to ordering one, but just could not get past the fact that it really has no customer support. Sure there is the online FAQ and manual, but if something goes wrong or she doesn't start I dont want to have to poke around the board with a multi-meter trying to find out what "I" (or whoever else may have assembled it) may have done wrong.

I'm the type of person that does years of research and planning ahead before I buy anything major. tech specs and ability are very important to me, but user experience is at the top of the list as well.

thanks for the replies everyone, keep the info coming!

I will throw my .02 in here. I have a 280zx NA that I finished a Microtech LTX-8 system on using a L28ET Dizzy wwith 300zx electronics in the dizzy. First time I wired it up - thought the dizzy was bad until I manually tested it. Contacted MT australia and ended up having to send the unit back as somehow the CAS signal had been programmed for a RX7 instead of a L28ET .. which btw I got charged for like $200 as though it was my fault. although the wiring diagram and everything else on the ECU indicated it was for a L28ET. Got it back and sat for 6 months or so and then hooked it up to a newly rebuilt engine and the MAP sensor is now reading -04hg with the engine NOT running (kinda funny). It still functions and I can tune around it. But unless they changed something with the "new" S models, I would stay away from MT.

Contacted MT australia and ended up having to send the unit back as somehow the CAS signal had been programmed for a RX7 instead of a L28ET .. which btw I got charged for like $200 as though it was my fault.

Sounds familiar.

Have you considered Autronic or Motec? Much better ECU's.

I have haltech and it rocks. Had vildini set it up for me, and they loved how simple it was to wire. Look for a company called speed options (I think) in SD. They have the cheapest price. Here is they're number 760746 3117. It will actually cost less than or same as a microtech from these guys $1250 for everything.

I have haltech and it rocks. Had vildini set it up for me, and they loved how simple it was to wire. Look for a company called speed options (I think) in SD. They have the cheapest price. Here is they're number 760746 3117. It will actually cost less than or same as a microtech from these guys $1250 for everything.

ahhh! thanks for the info! will give them a call sometime on monday as that sounds like a good price, well within my budget. but when you say everything, sensors, flying leads, 2bar?