HybridZ

keith black pistons

Guest traub83

Guest traub83

hypereutetic pistons i know arnt the best for boost or nitrous however i know there stronger than cast pistons. So given the chance I can pick up a set of KB pistons for my 350 motor im gonna pick up and with a 72cc head i will net a 8.4:1 compression ratio. now given those pistons and the compression and I will use a good crank and rods. do you guys think i would be safe on 12psi of boost and lower?? never ever will I run more than 12psi of boost on those pistons but what do you guys think.. Im only sayin cause i can get those pistons for 50 bux new off of a friend and i know there like 250-300 dollar pistons!!!

Well I ran a 150 shot on them with no issues for a total of approx 525 crank HP. ran a 10.9 and had no probs....Its the timing and detonation you have to worry about. Those hypers will break easily though. I broke two skirts just by trying to install the damn pins before. Scary but I guess they serve thier purpose.

Guest traub83

yah i will be running 8.4:1 compression and will be running 12psi max. however I would want my motor to be safe to lets say 15-16psi just for safe measures. I will not be doing any radical timimg mods just set it at the dyno and always run the best fuel I can. thats my plan and I want to keep it that way basically. ohh for the bottom end would I be safe getting away with some Eagle SIR A beam rods or regardless should i just go to the H beam esp rods?? this isnt going to be a daily race car but more a show car with some go. Now i will get on it sometimes otherwise Id never build it :-) however I want my motor to be safe for a lil more power than I plan on pushing just for natural measures.

ohh for the bottom end would I be safe getting away with some Eagle SIR A beam rods or regardless should i just go to the H beam esp rods?? .

Are the stock rods that weak? I know VQ35 rods seem to give up over the 500 rwhp range.

Using forged parts is great but most turbo engine failures are from detonation (Pistons breaking and head gaskets blowing). You can run 8 psi and 35* timing and break your forged piston from knock, were a cast piston will live at 20 psi and 20* timing without knock. Boost isn't the limiter, knock is.

No, they are not that weak, it's just an insurance issue. When you get a set of stock rods, buy arp fasteners, resize the big end, bush the small end, modify for pin oiling, you end up with over $200 in the set, not including the rods, so why not spring for another $100 or so and get eagle rods rated to 700HP?!! Good advice here, it doesn't pay to save $$ in the bottom end IMO.

If we could only get women with a moneyback guarantee, life would be good!

Damn Dr Hunt, do share! You guys are gonna be so far ahead of me when I get back its gonna be rediculous! I guess Im forced to look at the Small Block 472 with a possible Pro Charger! Dreaming is great but it may come true! Would you care to advise when I start collecting parts? Also I aggre that money well spent on the bottom end will pay big dividends...just ask ZFAN!

Terry

Guest traub83

then what would you guys think would be the best rods dollar for dollar than can be bought for a small block chevy?? besides the titanium stuff cause I frankly dont have the cash for that!! you guys think the SCAT or eagle H beam rods would do the trick on pretty much whatever I could through at this beast with a really sweet set of JE forged pistons or Arias Forged pistons with my forged crank I already have? Think that hold up to some abuse??

Dollar for dollar, IMO, the best new rods you can get are the eagle H beams with the L19 bolts. If you can find a set of carillo's used, they come with Carr bolts and are almost indestructable.

Corzette, send money, will shop for you, or you can come shop in my shop. I've got a 4 bolt 350 block that's .030 over, going to put a gm steel crank, eagle 5.7 rods, and those new TRW turbo pistons in it with a little solid roller cam and some AFR heads to make a turbo engine.

Sounds nice, just rememebr you may have to set the clearance from time to time on those rockers with forced induction. My friends was shooting 250 shots on his solid roller and was always reseting the lash about every two weeks. I know, what am I saying, thats the fun part of it! Good Luck on your build!!!