HybridZ

SWAP: "VG30ET power potential = VG30DETT"

andre2000

Ok I want to either confirm or put this to bed once and for all.

I keep hearing everytime a someone brings up swapping in a VG30DETT into a Z31

"the VG30ET and VG30DETT are basically the same in performance so you might as well stay with the VG30ET"

or something in the lines of that.

Whomever supports this statement, can you please back it up?

What will make the VG30ET "Just like" a DETT?

Are we talking about NOS here? If we are then lets end this. NOS, in my opinion, is in its own category. We can blow up all kinds of engines but we dont call em' Ferrari's.

So far, I have searched and searched and found that the most an ET can kick out is 243HP(generous estimate) with lost and lots of mechanical upgrades and work and sets us back around $3grand(Parts and labor).

Is there ANY thing else that can make the ET 300HP so that it can MATCH the DETT stock 300HP? Hopefuly this can turn into a comprehensive thread.

Anyone here have a 300HP+ VG30ET (NO NOS)?

Write ups? Links? Pictures?

Guest Jason84NA-T

this is my bone stock VG30ET with 260K miles on it, and valvetrain issues. At 10PSI it made 307RWHP, 383RWHP at 18PSI and VERY conservative timing. Nothing has been touched, the engine was pulled out of a junk car and stuck in my car after my flywheel blew up taking out my good engine. The only modifications are a larger turbo, intercooler, maf and 420cc injectors.

http://www.redz31.com/images/dyno/jason84na2tdynosm.JPG

The BIGGEST (and main) advantage to the DETT is the fact that it comes with better electronics from the getgo, like a maf that meters 480hp (instead of 300) or 370cc injectors (instead of 259cc) or intercoolers (instead of none), or an awesome fuel pump (instead of one that can barely do 300whp).

As for your question: "What will make the VG30ET "Just like" a DETT". The above, reground cams and a really good port job combined with a good valve grind will make ET heads flow almost as well as stock DETT heads. The ET will always have a torque advantage, but the DETT will always have a flow (and hence horsepower) advantage.

With all those points fixed, the VG30ET can almost perform on par with the VG30DETT, but loses out in maximum HP because the DETT heads simply flow that much better. Both of the engines have stout bottom ends with pistons that fail about the same point (before 500ish whp).

IMO the DETT is over-hyped, the ET gives you a MUCH better bang/buck overall.

Not to mention the ET was used in the Electramotive IMSA GTP cars making 800-1000HP on stock blocks (until they cracked) and stock (though modified) heads.

Thank you so Much.

You know whats funny? I always count on you and your website.

You give the best replies, your not immature and I always end up

referencing your site. Weird.

:twisted: I'm going to mimic you

Ok, that sounded weird :shock:

Anyways :confused2

Yeah for reals, I'm going to start an NA->Turbo project soon.

My N/A wont last more than a year the way it is so I'm going

to do it as I rebuild.

I'm planning to pull a turbo engine from the junk yard.

Any tips on signs to stay away from would be helpful.

Nothing wrong with a vg30et.

Intercool it, add a boost controller, add an adj fpr, and run a 3" exhaust, and bingo 300hp is there!

Want more?

Upgrade the fuel pump (on z31's), add a larger turbo, add larger injectors, and an ecu to handle them, and wala 400hp is easily attainable.

Want more?

Port/polish heads, polish/balance, nitride, shotpeen rods and crank, get some forged pistons, make sure she is mechanically perfect, crank the boost and try and shoot for 800hp!

Or use the vg30dett, and brag that you have a vg30dett! other than that, its all good!

I hit 390hp and 440 ft-lbs in my z31 at just under 20psi.

Kept blowing the HG in the same place if you ran more than 18psi for long, though. I never got around to putting the new heads (as opposed to the current spare heads that weren't resurfaced) on to see if I could get 400hp.

Sold it, sadly. Loved that engine. So easy to work on. Tryin to get my hands on an s30 shell...