HybridZ

VG30ET Into A 280z

Nissan-Fan

I have been looking all around for the best engine swap possible, and cost wise, i would like to know how the z31 motor stands. I have been reading up on the actual fitting of the engine, and it seems like somthing i can undertake this winter. So what i would like to know, is this a very pricey swap? can someone who has done the swap please tell me how they went about the task of wiring the engine up? I do already have an sr20, but i really want to stay with 6 cylinders, the aspect of the vg30et not having alot of aftermarket support is not a problem, i do not plan on getting amazingly high numbers from my car, i only want to make a mean street car and a quick track vehicle. I have this swap in my mind because there are many z31 turbo parts cars that would be great donors, in my area.

Thanks for the help.

As far as wiring goes it's not that bad. I would suggest getting a good motor, harness, and ecu from the junkyard. If you can follow the harness diagrams in the FSM you can figure out how to wire it up. The main issue is that the z31 ecu harness is designed to put the ecu on the passanger side. If you can make it fit I would try that. Otherwise there's nothing that would be a major problem assuming you have good fabrication skills. It's a solid motor and parts are easy to find. Depending on how much power you are planning on you will need to consider how you are going to accomodate for larger injectors and a different maf. That's a while different challenge but its not any harder on the z31 than it would be on an sr20 or l28.

This swap has been rarely attempted due to the costs and amount of modifications to get the engine to fit into the engine bay properly.

This is not a cost effective swap. I did the swap mostly for the "geewiz" factor, and I could have had a v8 for 1/4 of the cost/effort.

Check out my write up to see a bit of whats involved.

http://zacksz.homestead.com/projectboost.html

Scott.

I've seen ZR8ED's site, awesome job he did on his car. From what I've seen from his swap a Vg30et is not worth the trouble. Simply because of the difficulties faced vs. adding goodies to a L28et to match the power of a Vg30et. Definatly not a job for the average swapper. If anyone were to do that swap again I would suggest that maybe it would be easier to custom make some exhaust manifolds to change the position of where the turbo sits. Also I would suggest getting a intake manifold from a 90's Pathfinder and be able to mount the engine further back. Not trying to bash the job that ZR8ED did but just pointing out another way it could be done. Somewhat like the swap I have in progress to put a Vg30et in a Pathfinder.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/icecube/PathyPipes/

Thanks GrayZee.

The turbo will not clear the steering shaft or the frame. I had to move both. When I did this, I had to consider the reinforcement of the compression rod as well, as this part of the frame was chopped.

As far as rear placement, my motor is about 1.5 inches away from the firewall. I doubt I could have moved it further back, and the further back it went, the more interference there was with the steering. I am very happy with the fore-aft placement of the engine.

Also considering that the motor mounts are on the frame rails now, and that area became extremely critical to make sure it would not fold under the weight of the engine, or under heavy braking and cornering, and make sure the steering would work smoothly, and not bind, or have flat/heavy spots in the steering.

That is with the stock turbo...put on a larger turbo, and it gets worse.

The alternator had to have a custom bracket made as well, so it would clear the frame rail. I had to use a smaller oil filter, because it doesn't clear the frame rails either. The motor can't sit much higher to clear these things, or it will hit the hood. The stock hood latch is long gone as well, so I could fit the motor back far enough.

I also had to modify the stick shift to get it to fit up through the stock hole in the tranny tunnel.

There are several other things that needed work to get it to fit, but I don't recall them off the top of my head.

Scott.

• 1 month later...