HybridZ

GM sensor thread types... plug and play into L28? or Retap Required?

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guest 73Turbo240z

I'm going to run all new sensors on the engine, so i figure i'll pick up the recommended GM ones, only snag i can see is the thread might not be the same as the block. So here i am asking...

for those that run the GM sensors on your engine, did they thread right up? Where did you install yours? And if they didn't thread up, how did you go about securing them?

Guest 73Turbo240z
Don't know if they are the same but I do know that the GM sensors (coolant and IAT) are 3/8" NPT thread size. Now, does someone know what the thread size is for the nissan block?

got one piece of the puzzle now...

next portion of the puzzle though, where are the choice places to put these sensors, obviously w/ the IAT sensor somewhere in the vacinity of the throttle body, probally a few inches before it.

for the coolant though, i've heard mixed opinions, in the cyl head, which wouldn't be in coolant at all? or use one of the taps right off the thermostat housing?

the bottem half of the thermostat housing has a spot you can drill and tap for 3/8 pipe thread.that was on my 81zxt motor.the 83 zxt motor had a plug you could remove and install gm coolant sensor.pipe taps are easy to get -try osh or lowes.use thread cutting oil on the tap.since i am computor challenged i chose not to try to use easytherm program and nissan sensor.the air sensor is easy.if you want it behind the throttle blade you could tap the cold start injector hole on a na intake manifold.i am not squeemish about modifying parts.

Guest 73Turbo240z
so what about tps is anybody running the stock Z tps with megasquirt?

or is the 240sx a pentometer type ( I think i read that somewhere?)

-Ed

240sx TPS for me... though i notices last night that my TPS differs from the ones Mike and Ted have.. theres have plugs on the module... mine has a pigtale out of the module to a plug socket...

so i'm a tad concearned that i might have the wrong TPS sensor.

Guest 73Turbo240z
Why not use EasyTherm and the stock sensors?

cause i'm running all new sensors... and i figured keep it simple, keep to the MSnS initial setup criteria.

Guest 73Turbo240z
Im running my temp sensor in the head, it screwed right in. The knock sensor I had to retap the block for.

your running a CHT... i wont' have a knock sensor in my MSnS setup... i'm going to tune w/ street pulls in 2nd and/or 3rd and a LM1 wideband. Datalog it and try to plot out a safe 12.5:1 ratio across the powerband.

Guest 73Turbo240z
the stock tps is only a switch and will nto work with the MS, I added a tab to a 240sx so I coulsd use it with my stock tb till I upgraded my tb

i'm using a 240sx tb...