HybridZ

MAF & ECU from Maxima instead of 300ZX?

TheNeedForZ

I went to local pick-n-pull today hoping to score a 300zx ECU and a MAF but the only thing waiting for me there is detached sensor connections dangling in the wind. There are two Z31's(one NA, one turbo) in the yard but the goodies are gone. Disappointed, I stroll around like a tool lugging zombie. Then I discovered 2 other sedans with VG30 engine in them. One is a unknown year "Shiro", the other a 90 Maxima. The MAF on the shiro is hard to access to. The MAF on the maxima can be removed easily, in fact, I have it stashed somewhere until I check out with you guys.

I checked the FAQ but the photo links are dead. Did some searching here and on the internet and found pictures of the Z31 MAF. The Z31 metal MAF has both ends ready to fit to pipes. The Maxima plastic MAF however, has one pipe end and one flanged end with 4 bolt holes.

Maxima MAF :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSAN-MAXIMA-AIR-FLOW-AIRFLOW-METER-MAF-SENSOR-89-94_W0QQitemZ8004855931QQcategoryZ33557QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Z31 MAF :

http://www.autopart.com/MAFS/MAFS1984NISSAN300ZX.htm

Then I found the "maxima MAF adapters" on eBay :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-94-95-99-Nissan-Maxima-Air-Intake-MAF-Filter-Adapter_W0QQitemZ8005852555QQcategoryZ33710QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think I can make the Maxima MAF work, opinions?

quick question about ECU in 300zx : Where(please be specific) in the car can I find the ECU? What about ECU from Maxima or Shiro(they all have 3.0L VG30), can they be used as well?

Thanks

I don't know about the 90's Maximas but the ones from 87 or so can be used. Although not as good as a z31 ecu. Alot of it depends on what you really want to use it for. It won't be alot of use to you unless you wanna reprogram it. The maxima injectors are smaller than a L28et or Vg30et injector. The maxima Maf will work as well, but it all depends on your setup and if you wanna reprogram the ecu or not. For one thing take the 4 screws out from the ecu cover and look at the board. Does it have a chip that has 28 pins?

I am not quite clear about what you said, please explain some more. For now let me just concentrate on the MAF subject : If I modify the maxima MAF to fit, will it be compatible to 300ZX Z31 ECU? (disregard my maxima ECU question for now)

Where on the Z31 is the ECU located?

Thanks

The maf is the same for the 85-88 maxima's and the 84-89 z31's. If you want an ecu for tuning some of the late 88 maxima ecu's work well. You have to know what you're looking for. I don't know what the # of the ecu should be but inside you will find a chip with the label 46510 and it should be square. If it's rectangular then don't bother with it. You will have to reprogram the ecu to suit your hardware.

Bernard

I think he's using a newer maxima maf. (the plastic kind) Those are good, but definatly need the ecu to be re-tuned to run one of those.

The older maxima ecu might not work well with the plastic maf as the ecu may be too old,, and you won't be able to re-tune it. If you can't retune it then you can't run a newer style maf.

The maf is the same for the 85-88 maxima's and the 84-89 z31's....

Well physically they are different. In addition to the mounting flange on one end of the 1985-89 Maxima MAF, the Z31 MAF has a larger inside diameter (80mm versus 70mm) so the Z31 one should flow more air.

Thanks for the replies.

What's the internal diameter of the original L28ET AFM? Is the 300ZX MAF bigger in diameter than the L28ET AFM? I have to ask becauseI haven't got my L28ET yet since it is still in shipping. If the 300ZX MAF is bigger, then what is done to make it fit the original pipes? If the maxima MAF is closer to the L28ET AFM size, I could use the original piping. My purpose of the car is for street performance only, would I need the extra size MAF from the 300ZX?

Finally, how do I reprogram 300ZX ECU or Maxima ECU? Is there a support site somewhere?

the only mounting flange on a maf is for the 89. 85 - 88 max mafs are the same as the z31 maf....

I do not why you are so adamant about this but I researched various Nissan MAF’s when I was upgrading the FI system in my 1979 810.

Here are the MAF’s I pulled from a 1985 Maxima (on the left) and one from a 1987 Z31 (right):

MAF2.jpg

MAF3.jpg

The difference is obvious. Of course they have different parts numbers, 22680-16E00 for the Maxima MAF and 22680-25P00 for the Z31 MAF. I even found additional pics of the these MAF’s on the internet. You can also check for compatibility at Car-Part.com.

The Maxima has the stock air filter housing inside the engine compartment and the MAF bolts to the air filter box, hence the flange. The Maxima MAF used on the later models (1989 and up) also had the flange. The Z31 air filter housing is outside the engine compartment (in front of the radiator) whereas its MAF is behind the radiator and rubber hoses connect the two so there is no flange.

I've only seen a late 80's maxima MAF from the view of the engine bay, and from that distance they looked a little bit different to me. Never said it wouldn't work though. However by the looks of your pictures I would say not to bother with it.

However the fact is that you guys are arguing over the compatibility of the late 80's maf vs. the z31 maf. That was never the question in the first place. The maf that needforZ is talking about is the 90's maf. I've never actually tried fitting one but I have seen them up close, and to me it looks exactly the same as the one that is used on the z32. The z32 maf can be used, has the same rubber boot size but needs a flange one the one side. Plus you will need to re-tune the ecu to read that maf properly. In which case you had better get your hands on a ecu that is retune friendly. (late 80's z31 ecu's are ideal)

I do not why you are so adamant about this but I researched various Nissan MAF’s when I was upgrading the FI system in my 1979 810.

Here are the MAF’s I pulled from a 1985 Maxima (on the left) and one from a 1987 Z31 (right):

MAF2.jpg

MAF3.jpg

The difference is obvious. Of course they have different parts numbers' date=' 22680-16E00 for the Maxima MAF and 22680-25P00 for the Z31 MAF. I even found additional pics of the these MAF’s on the internet. You can also check for compatibility at Car-Part.com.

The Maxima has the stock air filter housing inside the engine compartment and the MAF bolts to the air filter box, hence the flange. The Maxima MAF used on the later models (1989 and up) also had the flange. The Z31 air filter housing is outside the engine compartment (in front of the radiator) whereas its MAF is behind the radiator and rubber hoses connect the two so there is no flange.[/quote']

I was wrong. My previous post has been edited to reflect this. Sorry about that. I have seen several maxima's with z31 style mafs, that's why I posted.

Bernard

Thanks for the good info. Looks like the authentic 300ZX MAF is the better choice since it's bigger. But for now I'll keep the option for maxima MAF open IF I can find a tunable ECU.

Back to ECU questions :

I was wondering if I can use N/A Z31 ECU instead of Turbo Z31 ECU? I have located a N/A ECU but I will need to find out what year.

I was wrong. My previous post has been edited to reflect this. Sorry about that. I have seen several maxima's with z31 style mafs, that's why I posted.

No problem Bernard. I did not mean to sound harsh or come off sounding like some kind of an MAF expert.

With all the misinformation on other forums, I take pride in making sure that the information on HybridZ is as accurate as possible.

The Maxima’s you saw were probably upgraded by the owners.

Thanks for the good info. Looks like the authentic 300ZX MAF is the better choice since it's bigger. But for now I'll keep the option for maxima MAF open IF I can find a tunable ECU.

Back to ECU questions :

I was wondering if I can use N/A Z31 ECU instead of Turbo Z31 ECU? I have located a N/A ECU but I will need to find out what year.

Yes you can use a N/A ecu instead of a turbo, but once again.. ONLY if it is a tuneable ecu. The N/A is programmed with a much more agressive timing advance curve. Not good for a turbo, you want something that will retard the timing as you hit boost otherwise you might grenade your engine. If the ecu is tunable, you can always make a new advance curve. A ecu that is tuneable should have a 28 pin eprom chip on the mainboard. All you have to do is pop the cover off with a 4 phillips screws and have a look. Or you could always get the number part number off of the ecu to find out the year and application.