HybridZ

79 zx swap different?

Guest lukes280

Guest lukes280

after doing a little more researching, im getting the impression that the jtr book i got is not for the zx models. is this true? is it much different for a 1979 280zx? i know jtr makes the kit out there. but does this swap require a different manual? thanks in advance

Luke

Its not that much differnet. The mounts just dont have any set back because the engine bay for a 280ZX is 3" shorter. The JTR book is good for understanding the "theory" of the Datsun V8 motor swap. It wont give you the step by step process of swapping in a SBC into a 280ZX because the wiring is differnet and and the orignal plumbing like brake lines and fuel lines are differnet. It may or may not help you depending on how much you know about cars. If your new to the engine swap scene then I say buy it, if you've done one before then just read on here and use the search function and you will find every thing you need.

Guy

The JTR Manual, along with the Haynes Manual for a ZX, and a little common sense should get you just about everything you need to do the conversion. And what you don't have is available on this site.

Though the wiring and wire colors aren't exactly the same, the JTR manual is very helpful with the basic concept for the wiring as well as for the fuel, driveline, and cooling systems.

Guest lukes280

Thanks for the replies guys. Im not new to cars or engine swaps, but i am new to the nissan cars and such. I purchased the book a while ago(JTR). from the looks of it, the book isnt very specific to any of the z cars(which is good in my case). thanks a lot guys, you should be hearing from me again soon. :wink:

Luke

80LT1, I was able to push my engine far back enough to have to cut that lip that is against the firewall to give clearance to the distributor. My distributor is right up against the firewall, and it could go no further w/out cutting or beating on the firewall. But there is adjustments on my JTR kit that allow you to slide the engine and transmission fore/aft. My engine is setting pretty flush with the front crossmember, and the F/R weight bias has improved with the installation of the SBC engine.

The one thing I would suggest on doing the swap is when you get it all in, and are running open headers, be very careful of the wiring harness on the passenger side engine compartment. My header blew out flames, which caught the old worn out wiring loom cover on fire. Once I got the exhaust put on and everything going, the wiring loom was fine, but I was working under the hood with the engine off, and the horns just started blaring. I ended up having to carefully tape up the exposed wires. Havent had a problem since, but its better to not let the wiring catch on fire! All your headlights/turn signals are in that loom, so you don't want it to get damaged....