HybridZ

Cobalt SS beats legendary Skyline????

ZR8ED

I've seen some pretty tight autocrosses that I wouldn't put my money on an 800hp AWD car over a small, powerful FWD car in. In fact, I've watched my buddy in his Civic repeatedly beat a 12 second stealth TT in such a course, both with drivers of similarly high skill, and both were street cars with similar states of suspension tuning done.

With that said if someone builds a 800hp AWD race car to a level of track tune approaching what a 270hp FWD race car is, and they pit them against each other with drivers of similar (and appropriate!) skill levels, I'm going to put my money on the higher HP car on most tracks...

The old "All things being equal..." arguement, which only comes slightly close to reality in a spec racing series. Otherwise, its a meaningless arguement.

On that day, the Cobalt beat the Skyline by 8 seconds per lap. At lap 15 in a 20 lap race the Skyline would have been lapped by the Cobalt.

Also, please remember, this whole event was part of a larger PR effort by General Motors. It was never intended as an objective test of anything. Real, objective tests are sanctioned race results posted after the fat lady sings, not anything printed in a car magazine.

Guest bastaad525

SRT-4 is boxy? hmmm okay :P

Weight is the true king, IMO, not hp :D

~240 rwhp may not sound like much, and whenever I tell any 'car guys' that's what my Z puts down they look at me like "omg big f'in deal"... and in any 'normal' car it wouldn't be.

but ~240 rwhp in a 2300lb car makes for a seriously fast car, as everyone here pretty much already knows. I'd take a low hp light car like a modded Z or Lotus Elise any day over a 400-500hp 3500-4000lb Lambo/Porsche/Ferrari/whatever.

now.... just need to figure out how to start stripping my new SRT-4 :D It's already 'not bad' at ~2900 lbs in a four door, but a few carbon fibre pieces and maybe pulling the rear seat would make it much nicer :D

SRT-4 is boxy? hmmm okay :P

Weight is the true king' date=' IMO, not hp :D

~240 rwhp may not sound like much, and whenever I tell any 'car guys' that's what my Z puts down they look at me like "omg big f'in deal"... and in any 'normal' car it wouldn't be.

but ~240 rwhp in a 2300lb car makes for a seriously fast car, as everyone here pretty much already knows. I'd take a low hp light car like a modded Z or Lotus Elise any day over a 400-500hp 3500-4000lb Lambo/Porsche/Ferrari/whatever.

now.... just need to figure out how to start stripping my new SRT-4 :D It's already 'not bad' at ~2900 lbs in a four door, but a few carbon fibre pieces and maybe pulling the rear seat would make it much nicer :D[/quote']

One word, "Plexiglass", safe and light.

Just go with all CF front end panels bastaad. That'll save you quite a bit of wieght and should make it turn in alot swifter. Then I'd loof for a CF trunk replacement. How heavy is the stock trunk? The evo trunk feels like it's not even there when you're opening it.