HybridZ

what happened to my 305? help

If I drive it when it is cold it runs good but once it gets hot it sputters and just quits. The timing is set at 30 degrees and the carb is a stock 600cfm holley spreadbore, and i just put a rebuilt distributor in it. Would it die if it got hot?

Guest traub83

well the timing is what I was about to say next.. Umm well if it gets too hot yes it could die however unlikely but I have seen it before... It sounds to me honestly that when it is getting warm your not getting spark... Id check out your coil cause when it gets warmer it could be goin haywire but when its cool it works fine.. Id basically start to really take a close look at your ignition items, plugs, coil, wires, distriburor, ignition box, exe....

also maybe check your muffler bearings when they go out all hell breaks loose :-) heh heh heh

It may be the coil cause its pretty old, what happens exactly. The plugs havn't even been in a week, new cap, rotor, dwell set at 30. I'm stumped. I think i need to get a different fan temp switch so it stays a little cooler, it seems like there is very little airflow through the engine compartment.

The guys have it right. But you might check for vapor lock also. Not much airflow is a clue to higher than normal under hood temps. If you have points and cond. ignition then there is no ignition module. I've never had a module die slowly. They usually just quit. On the other hand old coils will give sporatic performance.

Guest traub83

yes cheap points could do it or unset ones..

But I hav my money on the muffler bearings or possible the blinker fluid when those go out whoo hoo thats some trouble lol.... :-)

Well i have another set of mallory performance points, I can throw in there and see what happens. I noticed the other points are floating when it reaches the upper rpm range, and the condensor burnt out on me 2 days after i got it so i dont think the points of are any quality either.

I also ajdusted the timing slightly, adjusted the fuel pressure to 5psi, and adjusted the idle mixture screws, its pulling 19 inches of mercury, i also have my electric fan running non stop, and i put a 1/4 inch gasket/spacer under my carb for heat isolation and it still dies out. i'm running out of ideas.