HybridZ

Possible mechanic screwup/Need help and opinions asap

violacleff

OK, so after 3 unsuccessful attempts at installing the tranny properly, I finally bit the bullet and took it to a tranny shop. They fixed installed the proper t/o bearing collar, I drove the car home which is less than a mile, and parked it for 3 weeks at my parents (I live 50 miles away). Today I come back for dad's b-day and drive the z to the mall and notice that the turbo's not boosting or spooling. I have an oversized t-bine housing, and was just cruising so I didn't pay it much mind. On the way home though I started hearing "clink clink clink" (kinda like bb's in a tin can) noises from the motor, and thought oh crap there's goes the motor. However when I pulled off the freeway and looked at the engine bay I noticed that the oil return line was bolted inbetween the tranny and the block, pinched like a water hose! So my guess is the turbo was starved for oil and what i'm hearing is the bearings. Is this a correct diagnoses? And how would you handle this with the tranny shop? I plan to take pictures of it and for my records. I don't want them to screw with it since they are tranny guys, and I myself don't want to pull off the turbo and what not since I don't know what I'm doing. Is it right to ask them to pay to tow it to my mechanic to dianose the problem?

I think the biggest problem you'll have is the time frame since you had it there. A good shop will probably pay. It would be a lot easier to get them to pay if you would have brought it back the next day or even the same day. What I want to know is how did the mechanic that put the tranny in not notice that he pinched an oil line? Thats kind of scary. I know I would have noticed that the tranny was not flush with the engine.

Hopefully the shop cares more about its reputation that a few hundred dollars for a turbo.

Guy

You receipt should have the mileage. Get that receipt! If it's obviously related to the tranny install, and you can prove it, then they have to compensate for you having it fixed. If they don't, get a quote from another shop to fix it, then threaten to take them to small claims for that price plus your time (at thier labor rate, not what you make) or just settle for the price to fix it.

If they're smart they'll settle.