HybridZ

Jag V8 or Porsche V8

tfreer85

Okay, I'm going insane, I'm looking into cars to drop my 350 SBC into. And have narrowed it down to two options (unless their is a better option). Unfortunately a V8 z is out of the question. So, I'm looking at a pre-1975 Jaguar XJ6 or Possibly a pre-1975 Porsche 911/912 to drop in a V8.

Pros of JAG:

Cheap

I like the Sedan type look (reminds me of the transporter)

Could be quick

Can do T56 manual conversion.

Cons of JAG:

Very little aftermarket parts, for suspension

Little to no information for upgraded brakes

Horrible resale value.

Pros of PORSCHE:

Its a porsche

Its be fast and fun

Large aftermarket for it.

Looks damn sexy.

Con's of PORSCHE:

EXPENSIVE!!!!!

Hard to find a good cheap model.

Parts are fairly expensive

I'm pulling my hair out on this, so I need your guys' opinion. No 914's and it has to be able to fit a 6'-4" guy on the inside, for other cars. Thanks a ton. Here's a pretty sick V8 Porsche http://hypertec.ws/todd_porsche/

Tyson

Jag = no

1. XJ6 is VERY unreliable (replace ALL electrical).

2. XJ6 is English, so it looks great but sucks eggs for a hot climate generally.

3. The tail lights melt on a really hot day

4. There is a waxy snott that comes out of all the drain holes on a hot day.

5. Smells like ripe fish on a hot day.

6. Girls like you 'cause you remind them of their father'. :icon52:

7. The little cat on the hood WILL rip off when you take it to a car wash.

Porshe = yes

1. Chick magnet

2. Help you snag a keeper

3. Your wife won't let you take the future baby in either car anyway?

4. When are you going to take mor than just one hot chick for a ride? (let's not get greedy)

5. Your new girlfriend will appreciate your enginuity and remember you in that throaty porsche long after it's cut in half by a tree at 120mph. (tree's fault!)

6. You can go through your mid-life-crisis well before you are too old to enjoy it.

7. Good trade for a down on a good lawyer for the inevitable divorce. (babe magnets never lose their draw factor, downfall of most marriages) This is where the tree comes in. :bonk:

Wow Brandon I don't know if that was supposed to be funny or not, but it was hilarious IMO. Yeah the major drawback for the Porsche is the insurance for a younger than 25yr crap. However I can't stop drooling over em, and chicks are always plus, however the jag does have a backseat...and well i don't see a girl getting over the shift nob in a porsche (no pun intended). I don't need a sleeper because well me and street-racing aren't a good combo, i'm going to try and scare off most people then those who do challenge will get their ***-handed to em.

Tyson

Wow Brandon I don't know if that was supposed to be funny or not' date=' but it was hilarious IMO. Yeah the major drawback for the Porsche is the insurance for a younger than 25yr crap. However I can't stop drooling over em, and chicks are always plus, however the jag does have a backseat...and well i don't see a girl getting over the shift nob in a porsche (no pun intended). I don't need a sleeper because well me and street-racing aren't a good combo, i'm going to try and scare off most people then those who do challenge will get their ***-handed to em.

Tyson[/quote']

Dead Serious! ;)

You can buy a mid' 80s Porsche 928S2 for less than $5000. I saw some real project ones go for $2500-$3500 on eBay. You get the better brakes and the more updated look.

Plus you can pull the Porsche V8 and sell it for $800 easy.

I would not even bother with the Jag....not even in the same league.

Yasin

Okay problems with the 944 is that it has to deal with smog, when i first built the motor i built if for a pre-smog car. So that rules out the 80's style porsches. I'm currently at school (HybridZ addict anyone???) but i'll update this later with my price sheet. The one i'm looking at is http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?threadid=242372 . It comes with glass and that such. No interior, tranny, or engine. So, I'm going to offer less see if he goes for it (somewhere close to $900 opinions?) Since I want to do a widebody kit anyways, I was looking at betterbodies.com, but when I emailed the guy I got a very rude response. I'm thinking of going with a 993 Widebody kit from Getty Design ( http://www.gettydesign.com/Gallery/Pages/gallery993.html ). Then I figured basic shocks and springs for the time being. 2600 for wheels (CCW) and tires. Basic Brake upgrade, no need for the Big Brake Upgrade, the my full interior looking at close to another $5000. All in all my total came up close to 16k. Unless you have some connection to get great deals on Porsche parts. So I'm leaning away from the Porsche. The Jag wouldn't real be a performance machine, it'd be as wheelman said a sleeper. However, I was browsing the local classifieds, and came across a 1966 Triumph Spitfire, and that got me wheels turning. I know for a fact a V8 conversion would be out because of my parents. However, I thought an SR20DET swap would be pretty sweet and am going to do a spreadsheet later today. (I'm the spreadsheet king). Let me know what you guys think.

Tyson

At our last Z club meeting, a guy showed up in a late 70s/early 80's (I'm guessing) MB 300sel with an LS1 in it, and it was pretty awesome. The car looked like it just came off the showroom floor.

I was looking for pictures, because I'm not totally familiar with Mercedes, but it was a 2 door, not a 4 door.