• 1 month later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest XXtaZy

Thanks. I should have known AZ bum had one. ha. I'm gonna see if I can get the custom from the site listed above so I can have the orange face to match the color scheme of the car, but that's hot.

• 8 months later...

I'll try to get some pics of mine when we pull back in from underway.

I have reverse-el glo in mine (blue face, blue "beetle" lettering)

I solved the needle problem (trust me, the number lighting is NOT bright enough to illuminate the needles, your eyes will be popping out trying to see where the needle is) simply by using the factory illumination in concert with the reverse el-glo. This is cool because you can use the factory dimmer and the el glo dimmer to get whatever brightness you want.

This also makes it look more factory than the other install without the lighting. I can also pull my dash in about 14 minutes :o)

The best approximation to how it looks with BOTH EL and factory illumination is the title screen for "Coccoon"...y'know how the letters lit up and the light surrounded the whole word?

I think it looks cool.

The EL lighting is still bright enough that you don't see the actual gauge face due to the difference in intrisnic brightness...and you can see the needle fine.

I also like how the turn signal and brake cutouts on the gauge face glow softly when the indicator bulbs are not lit.

quick 260 question... I've got a pin keeping my speedo from going below 0 mph. My gauge face does not have a cutout for the pin... what to do? Cut the pin? Will the speedo go down to the 6 o'clock position? when the car is moving will it be off the difference from the zero MPH to the 6 o'clock? Should i send it back and get one with a hole for the speedo?

That's weird, my 280 speedo doesn't have a pin. The stop is internal. Of course, my 280 speedo STARTS at 10mph, and the internal stop also keeps it from advancing past the 6'oclock position.

This made it easy for me to swap needles since I had no worry of the spring unwinding.

In your case, I would mark the drum in back of the speedo before you pull the needle so you can re clock it at the same spot.

I don't think not having the pin will have any adverse effects though, other than the needle "parking" wherever it wants to. As long as the clockspring stays connected you should be fine (though I would keep the speed down in reverse if you have no stop on the speedo drum, otherwise the needle could unwind enough to disengage the clockspring and then you have no speedo at all)

I think the best solution is to NOT cut the pin, but to measure carefully and carefully drill a TINY hole to allow the pin to come through. It won't affect the EL material.

I know this because i had to modify my voltmeter face and it still works.