HybridZ

260Z; 240 body or 280 body???

codeman583

I am getting ready to purchase a 74 260Z. the Owner doesn't know much about these cars, and the only on I have had was a 78 280Z.... the carbs on the 260z are round with a knob on the top, so I am assuming they are the round top SU's. does anyone know how to tell the distinguishing characteristics on the 260's that define whether it is the 240, or 280 body? the Vin# is: RLS30-064924 anyone know?????

Thanks. I searched but found really nothing pertaining to this... I know it has been discussed more times then worth mentioning,..... just can't find it!

• Administrators

Cody,

There are a number of distinguishing features, but during the 260 run, some chassis’s received a combination of these attributes so you could truly have a hybrid body, so to speak.

The large 280 bumpers vs the smaller 240 bumper is the first give away but I have seen more than one 260 with a combo of small and large bumpers front and rear, (I don’t recall which end had which bumper, other than they had both styles, ODD!)

With the larger front bumper also came revised lower valance and the two body parts under the headlight buckets were also different.

The front lower radiator core support is different between the 240-280. The 280 style is lower for the taller radiator, which came about due the larger front bumper taking up more area in front of the radiator, i.e. restricting air flow to the radiator, so if your car has the larger front bumper, it more than likely has the 280 core support, though the smaller front bumper may also have the deeper front core support/larger radiator. The tranny tunnel on the 280 bodies is also different. The sides of the tunnel at the bottom of the car are wider for more exhaust clearance, but this added room for exhaust came at the expense of loosing some room for custom seats, i.e. the Toyota Paseo seats that fit the 240 don’t fit my 280, DRAT!

The T-C rod mounts are bit bulkier on the 280 bodies vs the 240 bodies, though I’m not totally sure when that changed, maybe late 240, or during the 260 run.

Hope this helps. I’m sure there are items I missed that someone else will fill in.

is it possible to put the 240 bumpers on the 280 bodied 260 then? when they say 280 body that only pertains to the bumpers. and the radiator core support then? interesting. It has the big gaudy safety front bumper that would be taken off in a hurry.... just wanna see if the sweet clean 240 bumpers would fit, and what mods if any would need to be made to make this happen? Is there a place to get the vin number listings for these? like which had what?

-Cody

• Administrators

Yes, the 240 front bumper can be installed on a 280. My ’75 280 had a ’73 240 front bumper on it. I mounted mine with custom built mounting brackets and just used the OE 280 bumper mount holes. I’m not sure if the 240 mounts will line up with the 280 holes or not.

I’m sure someone else will chime in with the Vin number listing

I think a fairly easy test would be to check the diameter of the strut tubes with a caliper. The 280 tubes have a larger diameter, and if it has the 280 tubes then it HAS to have the 280 chassis. Bumpers and the rest could still be screwy, but that will at least tell you what the chassis is.

• Administrators

Here is a picture I took last night at the late night drags here in Portland Oregon of Mr John Kurzhals Turbo charged S-30 280 Z sporting a 240 front bumper, (BTW, he ran a best of 12.6@ 114 MPH last night…).

Hope this helps..

280w-240-ft-bmprMedium.jpg

Here is a picture I took last night at the late night drags here in Portland Oregon of Mr John Kurzhals Turbo charged S-30 280 Z sporting a 240 front bumper' date=' (BTW, he ran a best of 12.6@ 114 MPH last night…).

Hope this helps..

[img']http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/BRAAPZ/280w-240-ft-bmprMedium.jpg[/img]

do you have any more pics of that car? those wheels look sweet!!!

• Administrators

Here is another picture. I apologize for the graininess. I shot it with my camera set on ISO 1600 as it was fairly dark and most of the shots were action shots, i.e. a twin turbo Camaro running 9.0 @ 160+ doing double wheel stands, once at launch and again as boost came on, AWESOME to watch, also captured a couple shots of the electric Datsun 1200, aka White Zombie, running low 12’s doing wheel stands on launch!!!

I hope you don't mind me posting pics of your car John....

JohnKMedium.jpg

do you have any more pics of that car? those wheels look sweet!!!

Thank you for the compliments olie05. The wheels are model 505 made by HRE. The offset allows me to run 225/50-16's on the front and 245/45-16's on the rear without rubbing. Personally I think they look like the old Ferrari 308 or F40 wheels.

thats a really sweet looking 280. just curious if it could be done really. i may not be buying this 260z, i am debating on holding out for a clean 240. Just Can't seem to commit to anything yet, that should be solved when i finally get my house done though. anybody out there using a single post lift? other then saving space is there any other advantages?

• 6 months later...

Probably a bit late now but in Australia the separation date between 240 and 280 parts(primarily suspension) was September of 1974. We never got 280Z's out here it was all 260z from 73-78. The only reason I know this is that every time I went into get parts from my (not) so friendly Nissan Dealer and from the steering and suspension place I got the work done was that I'd get asked what month(mines February)