RB26DETT with 6spd RWD?

Ed260Z

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TwistyFriZ

i know this is old, but i thought this info might be a little valuable.... if im correct the rb20, and sr20 share the same tranny. i know a lot of people foul mouth them as far as rb's are concerned but on sx's they seem to do fine:) of course i think the rb25 tranny would be optimum.. i suppose you could use an rb20 bellhousing and use an s15 6spd tranny. The s15 6 speed isnt even as strong as the 5 speed mated to the s13/s14 sr20det, rb20, ca18, ka24. But this is just solely thinking if you wanted the 6... also the s15 6 speed uses a speed sensor that is mounted in the differential, so if you used it you would have to use a diff made for an s15. I dont know if people are using s-chassis diffs in z's but i would bet it is adaptable.

• 1 year later...

You can modify the AWD trans to be RWD (you just have to cut the transfer case off, make some plates up and weld them in.)

It's a PIA but it's been done.

The RB25/26 bellhousing will swap on to the Z32 transmission, turbo or automatic, the actual tranny is the same, the turbo model had a different flywheel (and starter)

All RB's have the same bellhousing pattern. (so if you wanted to be dumb you could swap the RB20 trans onto a 26 just to see how fast you could blow the tranny)

What I think the guy was originally asking, though, was if it was possible to take the BELLHOUSING from a Z32 or from an RB25/26 and bolt it onto the Z33 rear trans section.