HybridZ

300zxt halfshaft outer flange?

Jersey

Hey all.

Question: Does the outer cv flange bolt configuration on the '87-'89 300ZXT halfshafts line up with any of the 240, 280 or 280zxt stub axle companion flanges?

My cousin just picked up an '87LSD that's coming with the halfshafts and would like to use them instead of the 280zxt halfshafts that he's runing now. I do know that ross sells adapters but was just wondering if they were 100% necessary to do this swap.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Jon and thanks for reminding me that the 280zxt stub axle flange i used was 6 bolt. Been a while since i've done the swap! I just got a look at the 300ZXT halfshafts and that outer bolt pattern won't match up with either the 240/260/280 stub flange. It's much bigger and looks like the adapter is needed to use these halfshafts. For the length of them, here's a blurb from Ross's site:

300ZXT 4 bolt outerflange CV shafts (not the 6 bolt type) require the end cap removed, and inner CV race reversed, this effectively shortens each CV shaft 3/8" and results in correct rear geometry for your Z

So the length doesn't look to be a problem, just need the adapter i guess. Think i'll just use the 280zxt halfshfts for now to get it up and running. Thanks again.

Do the Z31's have stub axle flanges like our Z's? If so, do they mate with either the 240 or 280 stubs and/or, can we use the entire Z31 stubs/flanges/cv halfshaft combo? Thanks.

ZX stubs are a different shape than the Z stubs. They use different bearings and would require machining of the strut housing to fit. Not a path that you want to take. The best and cheapest way to do it is get the stub axles from a 280Z (27 spline count, or for $700 you can get Ross' stubs in any hub pattern you want...but thats more $$) and get Ross' adapters. Then flip the race in the CV shaft to shorten it and bolt it in. I have this setup and its fantastic!