HybridZ

looking at buying a 74 260Z......

car smoked when last started.... a pure white smoke,... it had been sitting for several months, and pumped full of carb cleaner to get to fire... what would cause the white smoke? head gasket? condensation in the exhaust? bad gas? carb cleaner? I didn't see it for myself, will later this weekend maybe if I chose to go back down. what do you all think it could be?

-Cody

car smoked when last started.... a pure white smoke' date='... it had been sitting for several months, and pumped full of carb cleaner to get to fire... what would cause the white smoke? head gasket? condensation in the exhaust? bad gas? carb cleaner? I didn't see it for myself, will later this weekend maybe if I chose to go back down. what do you all think it could be?

-Cody[/quote']

White smoke is coolant being burned.

Possible (most likely) head gskt.

Ck the coolant passages in the cly head when you remove to do the head gskt.

If the car is in good condition, I wouldn`t think twice about it even if it had some problems.

A good body is most important.

If the car sat for a very long time that smoke could be water burning out.

I bought a little Toyota Paseo a while ago that had sat for a few years - it smoked BADLY when we first started, pure white smoke, and a whole bunch of it. Let it idle for about 15 minutes and it got over itself.

Also, Ive heard the smoke can be caused by condensation in the gas tank, it mixes with that old gas.. So it may not alleviate completely until the gas is replaced.

Get behind it and try to smell the smoke, coolant when burning like that has a kinda sickly sweet odor, its pretty noticeable.

Also check the oil for water. Usually if the head gasket is blown then you will have coolant going into the oil as well as the combustion chamber. Then again if the car has been sitting for many years then there might be condensation oil anyways. At wors=cracked block, not so bad=headgasket, and really nice=oil, gas, and coolant flush.