HybridZ

Would you buy this?

The Woj

photo1887sy.th.jpg photo1804te.th.jpg photo1793oi.th.jpg photo1782fp.th.jpg

...for $300? '82 Turbo engine, no harness or computer. The same guy offered me a rough (running) '81 turbo parts car, but my mom would kill me with a butter knife if I brought home another Datsun ('but it followed me home' is no longer a cute line).

Thanks,

Greg

Honestly I wouldn't get for a couple of reasons.

Its not a complete swap.

Not a front clip of the car. (make I.D.ing wires a whole lot easier)

Untested for start up .

the parts car is more temping but the 81 is what I call a transition model. Nissan tryed to modify a NA engine for forced induction and and basically overlooked the spark retard for timing, so not good for boosting more than about 3 psi then the stock psi.

I would only get the engine if you are planning to megasquirt it and if you can get a startup test on it (but no ecu or harness).

Okay from what I've gathered from Greg (400Z), when talking to him. Is he is going to be running Meqa-squirt, a basic engine rebuild (bore/hone block), uprgaded camshaft. I think that if you are going to rebuild and run aftermarket ECU, its not that bad of a deal. I understand where you guys are coming from with the whole front cut. One thing I would do is when you do go pick it up or go look at it again is take off the oil pan, and see if you have any metal or anything thats looks abnormal. Just my $.02. Thanks Greg for trying to help me figure out this whole porsche 911 V8, porsche 914 SR20DET, and the spitfire SR20DET.

Tyson

As Tyson said, I do plan on replacing most of the core components of the engine. It's just that with the limited mechanical experience I have that engine looks really imposing; but that's probably just me reading a book by it's cover.

I think I'm going to see if I can get that '81 parts car without people around me bitching too much. I think the engine pictures are a good start to a convincing argument for a parts car. BTW, I forgot to mention in the first post but the car is $700 complete and running. The guy says it was a special edition too, upgraded brakes, larger wheels, and some other stuff.

photo1643rl.th.jpg photo1639dn.th.jpg

Thanks for the responses guys, and I'm going to get you all sorted out Tyson.

Thanks,

Greg

The special edition version of the 280zx was only sold in black and gold if I remeber correctly. Try to look and see if there is anything different with the VIN. If possible try to look up the records from the VIN.

I think $700 is a bit high. I would try to shoot for about $500, b*tch about no maintainence and rust and what not to bagain it down. If he is offering $100-$150 for the engine then I would go for that, any more is a waste of time and money.

Looke dup the special edition models.

Special Edition

Apparently they came in red and black also. and only in 1980. If the you look at the VIN tag on the door jam it should say the production date (using my 280z as a example) it should say something like

mounth/year i.e. 1/76 (january/1976)