HybridZ

what rearend??????????

Guest big_bitty

before anyone else jumps up your keister, did you do a search yet? there is a grip-load of info on this. I just had a thread about dana44 axles. and are you talking independent or full axle. I would say go with a mustang 8.8. hard to beat bang-for-buck if you get one with disks already. do a search for "jegster" ss bars. great type of bars that fit under the z cars. cross between a four-link and ladder bar.

jake in AZ

here is a great example.

http://members.tripod.com/SnowSurfer/mikekz1.html

I would recommend keeping the IRS and simply getting an r200 from a 1975+ stick shift Z car. They are also found in a wide range of nissan cars. It should be able to stand up to almost all the punishment a sbf can put out, you might want LSD though, which is another topic you can search for in the drivetrain forum.

The '87 will have the R200 in it, and it should be plenty tough for a moderately modified SBF. I've had a well modified 302 in my Z (but its lighter), with the same rear (R200) for over 15 years (raced at first and then street later). And the half-shafts on your ZX will be tough enough as well (these cv joints are used in updated R200 halfshaft modifications for the earlier Zs). Some of our guys have had luck with these rearends up beyond the 500 ft/lb range. I recommend leaving the rearend alone for now.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest big_bitty

hey thanks for all the input, and no i didnt research it, lol, now for the next question, how do i find out if my rearend is a limited slip version? if its not where would i buy a carrier (and yes i tried searching this one)? and gears for it????? and i didnt know that the 240z's where produced in 87!!!!!!! lol

If you have a turbo 87-89 300zx you have a clutch LSD. It is most noticeable by the finned cover. If you have the N/A car (most probable) you don't have an LSD. This has been discussed 1,222,345,654,754,465,356 times in the drivetrain forum, search LSD there or Clutch LSD and it will come up for sure.