HybridZ

280ZX Non-Turbo / Turbo conversion

bluesinged

Hey I'm JC, I've owned a Z since mid 2003 and Z's have been in my family for about 6 years now. Ever since I got my first Z, a 1983 280ZXT, I wanted to work on it and make it faster. So finally, after i hit 250,000 miles in my Z i decided it was time to think of something else to do, seeing that my camshaft was so worn down my car would stall out at 3500rpm! So heres what I'm doing this Christmas and I'd like to know if anyone else has done it and could give me some power numbers to expect or any other helpful information on the subject.

I bought a 1981 280ZX non turbo. I intend to take the turbo parts and pretty much all of the top end and exhaust system off of the 83 turbo and putting them onto the non-turbo engine. My father sais that i should expect quite a bit of a power increase over the stock turbo motor and that it will feel faster seeing as i'm going from a 2+2 to a 2 seater. I'll also be putting an intercooler on the car since the n/t motor was obviously not build to have a turbo put on it with its current setup.

I've had people telling me numbers ranging from 200hp to 270hp and i honestly have no idea what to expect. If anyone here has actually DONE this and KNOWS what to expect as far as numbers go that would be really great!

Thanks for the replies, after a search i found about 200 people asking close to the same thing I was... annnd about 5 replies with enough information to make them worth reading. But those that i read were several pages long and answered all but one question. The horsepower. I'm not doing anything but the turbo swap, electronics, and top end on the n/a cam because i dont have another cam and can't afford one. i already own two complete engines, the n/a and the turbo engine. the turbo engine is just so far gone i gave up. so, after this process should i expect 200hp or more in the 230 area running 7-9lbs of boost. I'm using either a supra or grand national IC

Akeizm brings up a valid point about not being able to get 275 with 13lbs of boost. it seems to me that some guys here can get 300rwhp with 15lbs of boost and some guys can only get 230 with 15lbs of boost. The point is if you want a 275rwhp engine then make sure you build it from the ground up. find a member here that has the hp you're looking for and then copy excatly what they did.

Good luck!

Rock on Z people :rockon: