HybridZ

non-z tech question: piston rings

olie05

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 4G37 for my sister. I had alot of trouble removing the second ring from the pistons, they were practically welded in there!!

Now i'm having trouble installing the new rings. Any suggestions on gettin them in to where they float around freely in the grooves?

I was thinking maybe sanding down the edge of the ring, with something like 320 grit sand paper or something...

any other suggestions?

thanks,

-Oliver

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 4G37 for my sister. I had alot of trouble removing the second ring from the pistons' date=' they were practically welded in there!!

Now i'm having trouble installing the new rings. Any suggestions on gettin them in to where they float around freely in the grooves?

I was thinking maybe sanding down the edge of the ring, with something like 320 grit sand paper or something...

any other suggestions?

thanks,

-Oliver[/quote']

HAHAHAH watch the 4G63 vid i just posted skip to the ring part, the guy fits all the rings in and they are natually too big so he files them or clips them down (cant remember which), then he uses a sleave with [pipe tighteners] to get the piston in. Not sure if this is the right/safe way but it is an answer to your question :)

note: about 2:40 seconds in

HAHAHAH watch the 4G63 vid i just posted skip to the ring part' date=' the guy fits all the rings in and they are natually too big so he files them or clips them down (cant remember which), then he uses a sleave with [pipe tighteners'] to get the piston in. Not sure if this is the right/safe way but it is an answer to your question :)

note: about 2:40 seconds in

file the rings down, you want the end of the ring to be evenly flat... some rebuilders round off the sharp edges but very lightly.

Yea, it's most important to make sure there's good contact on the ring ends.

The vid that was posted showed a pretty good way of doing it. And the sleave around the piston to get it in is the way I was taught by a guy who worked for toyota for 30+ years and is now a teacher at a community college (he would be retired, but he likes teaching to keep him busy)

You should download the vid since it's a 4G63 build.

yeah i watched the video. Theres a few more problems. The oil control ring does not want to go in smoothly. Once i fit both top and bottom rings on the oil control setup, it won't move freely anymore. I'll just file the other rings until they fit correctly, but what do I do about the oil control ring? I can't file it can I?

-Oliver

file the rings down, you want the end of the ring to be evenly flat... some rebuilders round off the sharp edges but very lightly.

You don't want to file down the shapr edjes, no. :twak:

And ALWAYS re-hone the cylindar. Or you'll never get these new ones to seat right, they'll work, they'll probably be fine if you have a cat you won't see the smoke, but you'll lose some power (also maybe not nitice that either.)

IMO~

• 4 weeks later...
Have you cleaned out the piston ring grooves? Are the pistons within spec and usable? Have you ever built an engine before?

lol yes, this is my 3rd engine build, and I know how piston rings are supposed to fit in to the grooves... Either way, I ended up buying new pistons, and the rings just slipped right in, so I think the old pistons' ring grooves closed up somehow and became "out of spec and unusable"

just wanted to update on what happened with this thing... The car made it all the way from houston to lubbock with no problems! feel free to post comments!

-Oliver

lol yes' date=' this is my 3rd engine build, and I know how pistons are supposed to fit in to the grooves... Either way, I ended up buying new pistons, and the rings just slipped right in, so I think the old pistons' ring grooves closed up somehow and became "out of spec and unusable"

just wanted to update on what happened with this thing... The car made it all the way from houston to lubbock with no problems! feel free to post comments!

-Oliver[/quote']

Did you replace pistons/rings without rehoning the cylindar? If no, nevermind, if so, you probably lost some power, but you may not notice or care, it won't stop the engine from running.

yeah i definitely spent a good our and a half rehoning those cylinders. I went slow with a spring loaded 3 stone honing tool (powered by a drill). I tried to copy what my cylinders looked like when i was rebuilding my l6 after i got it back from the machine shop. (i got it pretty damn close) and i tried to do it with the least amount of material removed as possible. The clearance between the pistons and the cylinders is not as tight as when i rebuilt my engine with matching cylinder sizes and pistons (.040" overbore), but i can live with that :)