HybridZ

Disappointment at the Dyno... LS1 C5 Vette

Mike' date=' I was telling you more cubes and stroker from day one. In that day, you just had to live with the few pounds a Truck block would add and get aftermarket crank/rods/pistons. Now it's a lot easier.

I'll NEVER build another V8 smaller than 400 cubes again. NEVER.[/quote']

Pete the beauty of it is NOW you don't have to use that truck block. The LS2 (And now the new Escalade block) are capable of much better CIs without giving up aluminum and adding weight.

Had I started the build when I blew the motor up in the Vette, I'd have done a 402 for sure.

Mike

Mike, I understand. Just busting your chops a bit. The weight difference in the old truck block to the LS1 block was not that huge, considering the weight of the Vette and the increased thrust from the Cubes, IMO.

But I'd be looking at the Warhawk block these days. $4000 seems like a lot for a block, but I'd save pennies for that to be able to go to 450+ cubes.

Pete, 90 pounds is the difference, and to me, the low tech approach wasn't even an option. Even with the loss in power, I'm still at near 450Crank HP. I know I can go bigger with different heads, but I'm ok for now with it the way it is. I'm close to sending the Z off for paint, So the money I will spend over the next 90 days will go towards that effort instead!

Love-my-v8-280z, I'd expect to pay around $400 for a complete tune with dyno pulls, maybe a little less, maybe a little more.

Mike

Well for a big LS1 bore Darton sleeves are the way to go. I have an extra LS6 block that I had quoted for Sleeves and a bore to 4.125 (Dartons can go to 4.16). With my block in exchange he wanted 2,200. With a 4.00" crank that would be 427 CI. With 4.16 bore and a 4.125" crank you get 448. With a 4.25" crank you go 462 CI.

Even if you went with a stock crank your talking 390 CI for around 3000 with new pistons. Not bad.

This is the way I'm headed right now (390 CI). When I get the money for a good non twist Lutani 4.125 crank I'll be ready for it.