HybridZ

Cadillac Tail light mods

tfreer85

I think that would look Hot if that rear section was all one piece (or at least looked like it. Then the lights were all frenched in. I had good luck just removing the stock lights and stuffing some bare PCB board with leds and using 220ohm resistors for current limiting. Then I used 2 part epoxy to glue the boards to the back of the taillights. Looks great with a deep red color.

Tip: Use a lot more LEDs than you think are necessay, I used about 30 per light! Jameco electronics sells 100 High Output LEDs for 11.00 plus shipping.

I was planning on drawing up a schematic and parts list soon, I've just been too frickin busy with this turbo swap.

I actually pulled two sets of those lights from a couple of DeVilles at the jy last year with a similar idea in mind (double layer though...like '68 Firebird). Member "Owen" photoshopped them onto a pic. I decided not to go quite 'that' custom; but, it did look cool. I wish that I knew how to post them. Maybe I can email them to an Admin. friend who can post them......

Since I decided to stay closer to stock, I was going to sell the sets on eBay. As you said, they are a popular and great look for custom trucks. If you use them on your Z, I'm pretty certain that you will be the first.....

240Z2NV You can send the pics to me. I messed around a little bit with the whole double on both sides like what you're saying, but didn't like the looks, i didn't think it matched the grey housing area. Its really funny I was looking for LED '68 firebird lights but couldn't find anything at all on them.

GHtokyo kinda confused on what you mean by all one peice, like what blueOvalZ has done? If i do build something like this then I'll do like what you said and use a crap load of LED's.

Thanks for the comments,

Tyson

• 3 years later...
"Correct" is very subjective ... if YOU like the look, that is 'correct' ....

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

The caddy lights curve quite a bit from top to bottom, much more so than the back panel of a S30 which is almost nothing. So having a curved tail light in a panel that does not curve....well you can figure out the rest.

Maybe "matching" would be a better word than "correct".

It seems reasonable that the curvature of the light would not match the shape of the S30 tail panel. However, a good fabricator could make it look "correct". Well, maybe at least to his eye.

I ran into quite a challenge fitting Z32 taillights on my '73. Pictures and photoshop make it look like an easy fit. It is not. To make them look "correct" required all new reshaped metal from the hatch down and from fender to fender.

I bet the Caddy lights wouldn't require near as much work to look "correct".

I bet the Caddy lights wouldn't require near as much work to look "correct".

Prob not, so I think I might take the challenge and give them a try, except I think I am going to go with 4 total lights so it will look similar to a '67-'69 Firebird. Unique anyway.....