HybridZ

Click, click, click, click, click, then starts just before I give up...

Guest Arizona-ZMAN

Guest Arizona-ZMAN

I have a constant starting problem with one of my 75 280Z's. Any time I put the key in the ignition and turn the key to start... all I hear are relays clicking. This happens several times... usually 7 or 8 or more. About the time I give up, it starts up and runs fine... until I turn it off and attempt to start it again... then the same process again... click, click, click, click, click, click...

I have already replaced the starter, battery and ignition switch... I suspect a faulty ground or fusible link... but I have no idea how to proceed for troubleshooting the problem. Please help... I need some ideas on how to proceed and where to look first, second and third and ....

Arizona-ZMAN

75_brown_Z_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. Not enough power to one realy , so it isn't switching fully. Like the old Ford starter relays, if the power is not strong enough, it won't pull the washer to make the connection. I'd trace the wires and check around the relay's.

Chris

Ive been there with my 280ZX, the same problem, I have replaced wireing, relays, and all fusible links but still havent found the problem. I have checked the ignition switch and it was good according to the FSM, that is also how I did the wiring for what was involved.

Im still at a loss as this only happens when it is cold or very damp outside, during the summer months, I havent a problem with this at all, starts up everytime all the time.

I wish you luck in your search as it might also assist me. I hope you can track this gremlin down as I have been trying to for the past 2 years.

Battery cables have a tendancy to corrode internally over the years. You might put an ohmeter on them and see what kind of resistance they have. That clickety sound is symptomatic of not enough juice to pull the solenoid in and engage the flywheel. Sometimes when you think you've checked/replaced everything it's time to check them all again. I've known cases, for instance, of new batteries that were defective - or starters for that matter.

I would put a 12v power on the starter solenoid and see if it turns. If it doesn't then you know its the starter. If it does then you know its your wiring. Then check the wire that goes to the starter solenoid and see what voltage it puts out when the key is in the start position. And work your way back to the ignition switch from there.

• 3 weeks later...