HybridZ

R230 repair <PICS>

Lunar240z

I just picked up an VLSD R230 from a 300zx TT, {$50 bucks} :) and the previous owner said that it made noise that sounded like it was worn out when he downshifted on the freeway, and dropped the clutch hard. He also said it drove fine around town... There seems to be no apparent damage to the gears, and there wasn't a lot of metal on the magnetic plug, so I'm thinking [hoping] it's just the bearings, or maybe even just that it needed new oil, anybody have any ideas about this? I've also heard about the viscous lsd fluid wearing out too? Could that be causing the noise?

VLSD001.jpg

VLSD002.jpg

Mr downshift and hard launch may have been a little hard on the rear.

While you have the rear open, go ahead and put marking compound on the gears and see what type of pattern the gears give you. Hopefully the pattern matches the wear pattern. This should help you decide if the set-up is fine and the PO didn't perform an unsuccessful repair. If the patterns are good and the torque on the mains and pinion are fine, the bearings may need replacing. Replace them all.

apparantly the PO didn't even try to fix it, he just elected to repalce the whole diff. he did't want to get his hands dirty i guess..

marking compound= layout blue?

and i'm just looking for an even wear pattern on the gears right?

should i do all the gears on the inside of the limited assembly too?

I got this descripton of the problem from the P.O.

"when i had the lsd on the car it when driving normal and release the clutch slow its normal. but when shifting fast and release the clutch fast. i hear a noise in the back of the car. its like an end lift or something. i don't know the what they call it when the lsd is worn out."

You guys think replacing the bearings will fix this?

Gear marking compound is a white or yellow paste that you put on a few of the gear teeth and turn the pinion to rotate the ring a couple of times. Make sure you have someone creating pressure on the axle flange so the gears press tightly. The pattern can tell you if the set-up is correct. You can find the proper patterns on line.

If the PO never fooled w/ the rear the bearings could cause the problem.

Good luck, Jody