HybridZ

Air compressors, HVLP guns and primer.. Oh my.

MusPuppis

HA.

I got my air compressor hooked up and running properly. Got all the fittings, water filters, hoses, oils, tools and general crap needed to make it useful.

Here it is. The yellow thing is the cord I made. 25 feet of 10/3 so I can run it into my bathroom and use the dryer outlet till I can run a dedicated outlet in the garage for it. Really though.. what fun is something large and loud if you cant inconvenience other in the household while using it? Dry your cloths? Hell no - I'm sanding a fender.

Compressor.jpg

I went out today and picked up my paint gun. Eventually I'll be buying a detail gun and another gun like this one so I can have one gun for primers and one for actual paints. I was told this was a good idea. *shrug* I'm poor - so for now its a one-gun-does-it-all mentallity. Its an Ingersoll-Rand HVLP gun. 270G. Set me back like 99$ from Lowes. I could have gone with a cheaper gun and really got the same results, but I've read the HVLP guns are more efficient and a really nice over-all design. IR makes good stuff (from my experience with them anyway) so it seemed worth the money. Its nice quality, comfortable, solid feel and sprays really nice. Granted, having never used a paint gun before this one I dont have anything to compare it to, but it seems nice regardless.

PaintGun.jpg

I went to a local Sherwin Williams that sells automotive paints and finishs and bought some cheapy primer to practice with. I got a two part primer called 2k HS Primer (RS3702). Ran me like 28$ for the quart + hardener. The Z's hood fit the bill as a canvas. It wasnt really *ready* to be primed, but I intend to sand it back down anyway. I just wanted to test everything and see how it went.

Now, I had originally intended to use strictly PPG paints on the car. Mainly because they have the primer I want to use.. Stuff called DP90LF I think. Gives a satin black finish that looks so damn nice its hard to imagine painting over it, lol. BUT. I used their dealer locater to find dealers in my area. I pulled up a few Porter Paints locations and some Do-it-Better hardware places (or something similar to that) as well as a couple Ace Hardware locations. I started with the Porter Paints shops and started calling em. Well, by the time I was done my IQ had dropped 15 or so points and I had a headache. Three of the four stores told me they dont sell automotive paints - whatever. One told me they sold PPG stuff but it was order only. "Fine by me", I say. Lemme get a price on some things and place an order. "Well, we only place orders over 500$." This answer came on the tail end of close to an hour of phone calls to btw. I ended up having to call store managers, regional managers and some guy named Gary who had something to do with Porter Paints ordering and such. Ya know what? **** you. If you dont want to help me, fine. I'll find someone who doesnt seem inconvenienced by my desire to give them money. Was I looking to spend alot now? No, like 35-40$ but good job missing out on my business down the road. With my own car needing proper primer and paint and three friends of mine practically friggen salivating over me learning to paint there will be a hell of alot of money from me in the next 6-8 months.

Sherwin Williams was extremely helpful though. They were chatty on the phone, invited me down to just look around and go over ideas with them (even though I said I wasnt buying anything more than a little bit of "practice primer"). Good folks and pretty knowledgable. They sell Western Automotive Finishes. I dont know how good this brand is or isnt, but Im heavily inclined to deal with them from here on out.

Ok.. Rant over, sorry. Was a little annoyed that trying to buy paint would turn into a totality of close to three hours calling around like an idiot talking to random poeple who knew LESS than me in many instances - which is just retarded.

Anyway, heres a pic of the hood. The pic is alot better than the actual hood. It wasnt actually ready to be primed, lol. The body work is even but I havent feathered it in yet and theres a couple little dings that need to be handled. It was also sanded down with 60 grit and will need to be smoothed out with 180 then 320 before it gets its final coat. As a blank canvas though it was pretty nice. I got one run down towards the bottom of the hood because as I was spraying the hose got hung up and the gun hesitated in one spot a second too long, lol.

PrimeredHood.jpg

Thats it. This post served no real point - but I'm thrilled as hell after today and the work on the Z, which was on hold while I got this compressor and such squared away will begin anew tomarrow. Yay for more sanding!

nice job. Whis I could say one way or another if the paint you are using is good or not. But you will find out I am sure. As for the spray guns. In an ideal world having multiple guns would be great. In a realistic world of budgets, one gun is just fine. Just make sure you clean it properly after each use. You aren't going to be painting 10 minutes apart with different paints anyway. Run acetone or whatever is recomended through the gun. Take it apart and q-tip it and such too if you want. They are a piece of cake to take apart and reassemble. Buy the bags that the paint goes into that plug into the bowl. That way when you are done you just pull the bag out and run cleaner through and the bowl stays pretty clean. Which in my opinion is the hardest part to clean.

Nice work and have fun

well, I'm not big on Sherwin williams and have used several different lines of thier paints. Infact, one of the companies I worked for was in a very expensive lawsuit against them when I left them for another job. As far as PPG goes, it's good stuff, but so is Dupont. You might check around for Dupont dealers in your area. Thats the only brand I use anymore and am very pleased with the product and the support I've received. As you found out tho, not everyone is willing to help you. Look for a local bodyshop supply store and they are usually more than willing to help you select the correct products for your car. Good luck, you have a lot of work ahead of you, but w/. patience, you'll be pleased with the finished product.

Great job for your first 'go round'. I have posted before regarding good buys on gun sets. I just found another, even lower price on the recommended Titan 4pc. (THREE gun) set. It was at http://www.dodgetopia.com go over to the left under "manufacturers" (or brands?) and scroll down to Titan.

I had paid around $90 delivered from http://www.midwayautosupply.com ; but, the 'dodge' site has them for under $80 (didn't check shipping).

Then you will have dedicated guns for all of the materials that you will shoot. They are proven units, several of the members here have used them with very good results.

Keep up the good work. Oh, and the PPG DPLF is GREAT stuff...not that much more than what you paid for the other, though(?). Lastly, Lacquer Thinner is a great all around solvent for cleaning (guns), and Lowe's has about the best price that you will find on five gallon containers...cheaper than autobody supply shops.

Supply shops are here are pretty few and far between for some reason. I'm gonna see what Louiville has to offer me I think. I dont like the prospect of an hour drive each way but its worth it to deal with poeple I like and products I trust.
try going into a body shop, explain what you are doing and ask them where they buy their paint from.