HybridZ

need a little help on tranny

Guest New_2_z

Guest New_2_z

ok i just bought a overhaul kit for my 5 speed(that came out of a 280). anyways the kit was 125+shipping i didnt think was that bad. now i know it would be just as easy to go back to a junkyard and find another tranny. but im learning this stuff and im going to have help rebuilding this tranny. well i guess my main question is where can i get a 5th gear crush synchro. the kit does not come with that one part. he said they no longer make it or some sort of crap. anyway any hints on a good place to get it. im gonna go to nissan and see what they want. but has anyone else had any luck finding such a part? what price range yall thing this little thing might cost? its not like i have a choice in not getting just wondering what it will cost.

Guest New_2_z

yea i just ordered that kit today. the kit comes with everything

but the 5th gear crush synchro. but i do think i found a site that has them just gotta make sure its the same thing. im looking in the vb magazine and i htink they have them to for 15 bucks or so.

• 1 month later...

Now involved in rebuild of standby trani acquired from Cherry Ave Towing in Birmingham bone yard for $250, but needs reverse gear set and shifter forks. Negotiating adjustment.

Guess the PO tried to power shift or crunched shift style. Box only had 100K mi, supposedly. Yeah, got same issue about "crushed syncro", whatever that is. Heard from Dave at drivetrain that they have a retro kit to replace reverse gear set with 21 tooth.

Considering cryo treatment. Anyone tried it? Cost?

What year is that box? Is it FS5W71B?

Here is a good question that I have not seen anything on.

Where is the number located on the tranny to show what model it is??

I know that I have 2 from 82 XZ's but not sure if it is a FS5W71B or the other one. I know it is not a T5 because they were only availible in 83 and they have a removeable bell housing.

So like I said where is the number stamped into the case??

Thanks

HB280ZT

• 1 month later...

New 2 Z,

So any news on the tranny rebuild?? I am debating on whether of not to do the rebuild or to just farm it out to a Z shop. I already have the tranny out so it would just require me to drop it off at the shop. The only thing is the price of $600 to have the work done. So any news would be great and any tips would be even better.

HB280ZT

I don't want to jack this thread, but what is a crush synchro? I thought I had everything I needed for mine, I got a rebuild kit with bearings, normal brass synchros, front and rear seals and the gasket for the front cover and a new main shaft nut. Am I good to go, or do I need the mysterious 5th gear crush synchro??? Is it like a crush sleeve or something? Confused...

Not sure about the crush synchro but I am still tiring to figure out which tranny that I have. There has to be a marking of some kind on the tranny to designate what it is. So if someone knows where that is I would appreciate that alot.

As for the rebuild how is it going so far??

Also how much was the rebuild kit and have you started on the disassembly yet?

Any tips or other note worth things that I should know before I try this?

Thanks for anyone help.

HB280ZT