HybridZ

Porker Got Back

speeder

How i did it and how I would do it today are slightly different.

First I installed and aligned the parts as they were inteded to be used (hood fenders).

Then I used wood blocks and a big hot glue gun to bond the pieces. Here is where I would do it differently.Splain in a second.

http://users.adelphia.net/~evilrufuskay/Finally.htm

Notice the lines I made to indicate where I was going to cut the fenders.

Then I removed the temp bonnett and flipped it over. Using 1 foot wide by 6 foot pieces of Matte (the fiber stuff not the woven as it is stronger) I laid at least 5 pieces wetting each with resin along the seam between the fenders and the hood.

The i reinstalled the clip and using the same size pieces of matte i secured the top. After curing i cut the fenders...that was the scary part.

Then using the VR pieces John made special for me ( he just laid up the top section of his cheek panels

http://www.reactionresearch.com/NewCheeks.htm

It was tough to bond the top pieces of the cheek to the lower portion of the remaining fender but I am glad I did as it came out sweet!!

I also cut the rear "ears" off the fenders and bonded them to the hybrid cheek panel. This was to keep them from shaking around under high speeds...:twisted:

Finally I used John's VR hinge and bonded it to the bottom of the clip while the bonnett was installed on the car. i had to cut some recess holes (more like groves on the inside of the airdam to allow the bonnet to open all the way as it hit the unibody.

As for what I would do different is i would not use hot glue and blocks. Being confident now I would just lay up the resin and matte on the top of the installed pieces while it was installed the first time.

http://users.adelphia.net/~evilrufuskay/awwwwwwww_yeah.htm

Good luck speeder. i almost bought the YZ front pieces but did not think my Hybrid cheek panels would work.

Rufus

Dan, I have some fiberglass headlight buckets that will be bonded into the YZ front fenders. I had a suprisingly easy time doing this on the AZC front that's on there now.

Evil, The laying of mat on top with fenders and hood installed is the way I plan to do it. First I think I'll make hinges and get the hood pivoting the way I like it, and then align and stick the assembly together to the hood. Great minds think alike!

I'm working on a hinge design for the one-piece that will lift up as it pivots so that the deep air dam will clear the floor.

John Washington talked me into getting the vello rossa cheek panel sections which I'll attempt to integrate with the cut -off lower fender sides that mount behind the rear wheels. Looks doable. A one -piece needs some kind of inner fender, and the cheek panels will provide that.

Yeah, I had the same apprehensions cutting my existing one piece apart. "Measure twice,cut once" Lame but very relevent here.

Guest TegRacer324

So did you actually get those flares from somewhere or did you custom make them yourself? You have any pics of the actual build up? Sorry if they've already been posted I haven't been on here in a while. Jeusus christ that thing looks frigging hot.

To be honest when I first decided I wanted a 1 piece I must have looked at 'porker' a zillion times. However, at that time AZC was not making them. I loved the pics of your car but didn't like the rubber you had running along the top of the unibody. I thought about boxing in the uniframe with metal but my experiments showed me that it would be really tough and look like shite. Thats when i stumbled across the cheek panels. One thing I had to do to to get the subtle fenders to sit down was to cut a triangle out of the high part of each cheeck panel which i plan to recess with glass when the time comes. JW sold me a hinge but told me to take it home and copy it. Then send it back to him for a refund. He is a class act. i actually picked my parts up from his house on the way home from a cross country trip. He offered me and my brother steaks and wanted us to stay the night. His wife was pregnent at the time so we politely declined. Although I could have easily copied his hinge i simply paid him for it and used it. One of the nicest people I have the pleasure to meet.

Teg, The body kit I'm working with comes from Reaction Research http://reactionresearch.com/280yzgallery.html

I didn't take any in-process pictures - The rear YZ install process has been faily well documented by the reaction research site. Just browse around and there is all kinds of info and pictures. Look at Dan Juday's gallery there.

Evil, Yeah, the Z's front unibody under the fenders is butt-ugly. First test - fit of the cheek panels indicates lots of cutting/ glassing to make fit, but we can make anything fit anywhere, right? The cheek panels make all that area almost attractive.

I agree - JW is cool. I have a few complaints about the YZ kit, however - the biggest one being the short trimming that makes a triangular void where both front and rear fenders curve down on the bottom to meet the car body. In all 4 of these areas I will have to extend the panel by laying glass. I already have the rears done. And really, looking at the job it's going to be hooking cheek panels and rear/side front fenders together, I guess the extra work is small, but still....

The front fenders' fit is not the best, but that's probably not a problem for me since they will be cut and pieced together. I really hate the dzus fastener imprints in the fenders that will have to be sanded off, but again, in the big picture of the total job this becomes minor extra work.

I was very pleased at the lack of ripples in the rear quarters, and the general finish of the panels is good.

Like I said, the new front end will be quite a while building, and in the meantime I'm repainting and continuing to use the current front. The AZC front removes in about 10 minutes without tools, so the build and fit process for the new front will be a pretty painless, if lengthy project.

I just want to get this biatch back on the road - I'm dying to start banging on the new engine, drivetrain, and tires. Bodywork is not my favorite thing, but I'm determined to nail it the first time. Patience is the word, no halfstepping allowed. (Says to self, for the nth time)

Hey Speeder something that came to mind. Are you going to have sideskirts with the YZ kit. Personally I think it would look a really good. It would really balance out the whole package I think. No offense to the other guys that have the YZ kit but without sideskirts it sure looks like there is something missing in the middle under the door. Just my .02