HybridZ

Porker Got Back

speeder

Thanks guys - Although I make mods to get the car to what I want it to be, the opinions of this distinguished forum are always a great sounding board. Nice to have your work and taste/choices validated :) . I did a lot of agonizing and scheming before "nutting up" and cutting off the old rear flares. The way it looked after this butchery freaked me out in a major way.

I have to mourn the passing of the pre-surgical girl a bit.

Tannji, I think you'll see that after paint and sideskirts go on, the car will look very similar to the old style, only enhanced. The 28" rear tires in most of these pictures raise/rake the car to an unattractice, but functional stance, IMO. This will be a look that is only in evidence at the strip. The car sits pretty low on the 25.5" street/ road race tires, giving a much different and conventional appearance. The decision to delete the wing was made from a purely asthetic viewpoint - it just didn't match the new contours. There is a poster of a Daytona Cobra Coupe above my computer, and the YZ rears look very similar. The cobra has a small rear spoiler similar to the popular BRE replica, and I may go in that direction - Aero was pretty good with the old setup (don't ask how I know) and I may have to do something different (maybe widen the wing and restyle the end pieces, or fab a NASCAR-style sheet metal spoiler as on the Reaction Research's white gallery car) once high speed track work is begun.

At any rate, with the exception of this one concession to style (still important, however), all changes are for function.

How wide will you go?

Davy,

The CCWs will be 18X12-13" rear, 11-12" front. Existing wheels are (max)10.5" rear, 9" front. The YZ front end is at least 2" wider than the existing so-called "IMSA" flares, and I will need to have this front fabbed up to precisely measure before I order.

Wow that looks great! I just got my yz's and already have the same wheel and tire combo. It gives me some motivation and something to look forward to. Are those 7 1/2" backspace? Can't wait to see the yz front on it. I been flip flopping on getting the front flared. Once again Awesome car.

85763363.jpg

"Thanks guys - Although I make mods to get the car to what I want it to be, the opinions of this distinguished forum are always a great sounding board. Nice to have your work and taste/choices validated."

Rick, NICE NICE work...and I couldn't have said the above better. Too many people forget that they're building/modding a car for "themselves"...

Looking forward to seeing it at SEZ6...I know you'll be there.

Warren

Davy' date='

The CCWs will be 18X12-13" rear, 11-12" front....The YZ front end is at least 2" wider than the existing so-called "IMSA" flares, and I will need to have this front fabbed up to precisely measure before I order.[/quote']

Yes. The width of that YZ car is amazing and filling the wheelwells will be an expensive proposition, but it will look good!!!!!! 18's are about right in my estimation. I can't wait to see the pictures of the finished product.

Davy

Skich,

My welds are 15X10, 6.5" backspace. I have coilovers and 1-3/4" thick spacers/bolt pattern adaptors installed. There is about 1/4" clearance from the tire to the spring perch. Not sure the 7.5" backspace will fit on a Z.

I am seriously thinking about removing my 4-lug Arizona Z-car brakes with 4-5 lug adaptors and getting the 5-lug brake kit and the proper wheels to eliminate the spacers. I would consider Ross's brake kit but I think it's too large to fit 15" wheels on. Eliminatrion of the spacers would require the new Pro-Stars to have a 4.75' backspace to fit like the ones I have now - probably the available 4.5" backspace would do it.

ZG,

I will be retaining the vent panels behind the front wheels.

Evil,

I will be making a new one-piece from the 4 front pieces of the YZ kit, and molding in some side vent panels similar to those on the current one. Seems to me I remember that you are doing something similar?

Myself and some local Z guys used to call Porsches "poochies".

I will be making a new one-piece from the 4 front pieces of the YZ kit' date=' and molding in some side vent panels similar to those on the current one. Seems to me I remember that you are doing something similar?

[/quote']

I think that will look really good. cant wait to see the finished product! oh, and be sure not to forget the big bend open road race-http://www.bborr.com/ get that car closer to my location, I want to see it!

one more thing, not to jump the gun but if your thinking about selling your current brakes keep me in mind, Im in the market for a good setup.

And while we are trying to get Ricks leftovers......... I could use some spacers like yours Rick. If you want to give them up can you let me know. I havent reallly been able to locate any on this side of the pacific and my Cobra R's should be here any day now.

Cheers, Douglas

P.s. Car is looking wicked btw.

Skich' date='

My welds are 15X10, 6.5" backspace. I have coilovers and 1-3/4" thick spacers/bolt pattern adaptors installed. There is about 1/4" clearance from the tire to the spring perch. Not sure the 7.5" backspace will fit on a Z.

I am seriously thinking about removing my 4-lug Arizona Z-car brakes with 4-5 lug adaptors and getting the 5-lug brake kit and the proper wheels to eliminate the spacers. I would consider Ross's brake kit but I think it's too large to fit 15" wheels on. Eliminatrion of the spacers would require the new Pro-Stars to have a 4.75' backspace to fit like the ones I have now - probably the available 4.5" backspace would do it.

ZG,

I will be retaining the vent panels behind the front wheels.

Evil,

I will be making a new one-piece from the 4 front pieces of the YZ kit, and molding in some side vent panels similar to those on the current one. Seems to me I remember that you are doing something similar?

Myself and some local Z guys used to call Porsches "poochies".[/quote']

Im running 15X10s with no spacer and 5.5 backspacing. not sure if 6.0 backspacing will fit without spacers.... something to think about before doing tthe 5 lug swap. Im running AZC coil overs with the spring perch cutoff.

And the other thing i noticed on the rear flares. With the big MTs they come real close to the bodywork in the lower front wheelwell area. What kind of rearend parts do you have. I was running 275 50 15 on mine with AZC control arms and stock (new) bushings. the stock bushings allowed the suspention to toe in so much on launch the tire was contacting the body in that area. just something you may want to look at if you havent allready. Would hate to see you crack it or blow a tire or something.

Yeah Stony, I've been stressing bigtime over fit issues with the 325s - I have the aluminum/delrin rear inner bushings/urethane outers that should limit caster/toe change, and there is almost 1" clearance from the tire to the narrowest gap in the front of the wheel arch.

I'm also making sure that there is sufficient space upward - there is at least 3" available travel, and bump stops will be installed to make sure that the tires don't get into the roll cage bolts on the inside of the strut towers under full squat.

I've verified with Mickey Thompson that there is no growth of the drag radials with RPM, so all this should be good. I'm running in the neighborhood of 425 rwhp, stick shifted, but the next (non-L) engine will make lots more. I want everything to be ready for that.

Everyone,

I'll certainly be selling most of the leftovers from this project - A whole sh!tload of mustang wheels, (17X10.5/9" 2003 Cobras -with custom "Z" centercaps - and 18X10/9" Saleen replicas) the 15X10, 6.5" backspace Welds, spacers, 4-lug AZC brakes, and the old front end - Trying to recover some $ to offset the frightening expense of this latest round of new stuff. Again, this will happen when the new front is done and new brakes/wheels are on.Probably 2-3 months away. I'll place ads when ready.

Just a thought - maybe we could make a sticky with wheel offsets/backspaces required to fit various combos of flares/struts/coilovers. Looks like people like me who have spent lots of time measuring and trial fitting could contribute to some kind of list/table.

Yeh I built my one piece using Subtle and Vella Rossa parts. I can share some insight if you would like. I bet you got it figured out though. The metal 1/4's i built were based on the YZ's and I plan on 18 x 12 rims with no problems. I could even go 18 x 13 as I added about 1" of width to each side beyond the YZ design...now if i could just afford wheels and tires...:icon8:

Sorry I forgot you were still stock datsun rear. Im going Ford 9". I was kinda in awe of how that thing looks. i got the 12" wheel but your tires seem to fit pretty nicely on the 10".

Cant wait to see the yz front on it. Keep up the good work

Evil, I'd like to have some insights on hooking the front end pieces together - I was hanging them on there today doing some thinking - I think that was where the lingering odor of horsesh!t was originating.:D I think I have a plan but would appreciate hearing how you did it -.

Yeah Skrich, solid rear does change the fit, huh? I think M/T does recommend 10" as the optimum width for that tire, but 12 is on the chart's range. You're right, there is big room under there for 12" wheels.

Clark, Not sure my L will boil these baloneys....