HybridZ

Starter help

Cruez: The starter on my 350 bolts to the block, and somone told me not to put it there, I forgot why, but there was a reason.

awd92gsx: ya, it worked fine before.

I just tried a different charger, my charger might not be working right.

Bob,

Are you still trying to run the starter off of the factory wires? Why don't you just go down and buy a positive battery cable with a starter lead coming off of it? I think these are somewhere in the neighborhood of $8 and are available from most major auto parts stores (Autozone, Checker, etc...)

That way, you get your current directly from the battery without having pass Go and collect the $200 AND you eliminate one part of the equation. It also doesn't hurt to run a secondary ground.

While you're down at Autozone buying your new positive cable get a negative ground cable. A good place to attach it is on the passenger side using one of your mount bolts you can run it up to the chassis and attach it on the bracket that held your coil assembly (assuming you still have the bracket there).

Are you running a direct drive starter or a gear reduction? What's your base timing set at? Did you actually check the shimming of the starter or are you going off the pretense that it worked for awhile so it's probably ok? I've heard of cases where the clearances were too close which put a bind on the bendix.

It's seeming like we're missing and/or not checking the obvious.

Alright, this is very embarising and is the model way a person with no experience would go at solving the problem.

After throwing probably 5 hours and a new starter at the problem, i figured out my battery charger was broken. I tried my neighbors and it worked.

Man, I guess this is just part of working on cars.

Thanks for your advise about the cables awd92gsx, and no they arnt the factory wires, the guy who is helping me told me to put them where they were. I'll go do that when i go return the starter.

Well finally! I have been watching and reading. Embarrassing, maybe, but we have all been there at one time or the other. I put my front ball joints on the wrong side of the A arm. Took me several hours of why the steering would only turn 2 or 3 inches. duh! Now on to the next thing right? Congrats!!