HybridZ

LED direct replacement bulbs

Guest Z Draci

Unless you do like AK-Z did you are going to find your dash lights very dim, you will also find your tail lights brake lights etc. will seem quite dim unless you are directly in front of them. The reason is because LEDs only create light in one wavelength (except white which is a weird blend and cost more than double what colored LEDs cost) and that light is colimated (it only goes in one direction unlike an incandescent light which goes in all directions) and is only projected out of the end. There are some places that make the lights (LEDs) for tail lights that have a ring of LEDs around the bottom so that they reflect off the mirrored surfaces in your lens housings, these lights cost more money but they work much better.

Dragonfly

I did a Google search on this subject a few month ago after seeing the replacement lights in AutoZone. The variety of LED configurations is mind bogling. There is also a pretty broad price range too. My decision at that time was to wait a while as I have much more important things on the cat I need to spend money on - like Struts and CV joints. After I get the big items resolved I'll go after the lights. By then all my dash lights may be burned out anyway. Mine are so dim I didn't even know they are supposed to be green.

I have clear corner markers and put LED's in my corners. However, my turn signal does not work. The light works fine, just not the signal. They look really good. They make load equalizers. I could get those at $5.00 each. Does anyone know whether there is an electronic flasher that will work instead?

I have clear corner markers and put LED's in my corners. However, my turn signal does not work. The light works fine, just not the signal. They look really good. They make load equalizers. I could get those at $5.00 each. Does anyone know whether there is an electronic flasher that will work instead?

What year is your Z? The older Z's use a mechanical contact for the flasher and have no problem flashing an LED. You can also get LED's that have a flasher built into them which means you do not need to use the load equalizer which in my opinion defeats the purpose of using LED's in the first place (to reduce the current draw on the electrical system). Also any where you place a load equalizer you have to be concerned with heat (you may notice they have a small heat sink on them) and not put them any where that the heat they produce will cause any problems.

Dragonfly

What year is your Z? The older Z's use a mechanical contact for the flasher and have no problem flashing an LED. You can also get LED's that have a flasher built into them which means you do not need to use the load equalizer which in my opinion defeats the purpose of using LED's in the first place (to reduce the current draw on the electrical system). Also any where you place a load equalizer you have to be concerned with heat (you may notice they have a small heat sink on them) and not put them any where that the heat they produce will cause any problems.

Dragonfly

My Z is a 1978. My lights don't flash. What are my options?

For those of you who have the "newer" Z cars who's flashers will not work with LED's this is what you should get http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html, take a look about halfway down the page at the LED flasher unit. Here is the info on the flasher http://www.superbrightleds.com/pdfs/flasher-spec.pdf. That should take care of your flasher problems.

Dragonfly