HybridZ

track results

scottyMIz

well guys i wish i could tell you that i got a good time.But first i have to ask does a no show on andy's part give me the victory? :D Well here is the story i get all ready and people are looking at me kinda funny cuz it was the budweiser shoot out and my car is the ONLY import.So i'm in the staging lanes and this nice guy comes up(he owns the car in front on mine)and says is that a 280z?I say yep and he says i have a 71 240 but it's in pieces right now.I say ohh and he says it runs 7's in the quarter :eek: So we talked a bit and i finally got up for my turn(there was alot of cars)so i put on my helmit and get up to the line do a really good burn out and stage the light turns yellow and then green and i rev up on yellow and green i'm off then about 1/2 a sec later BOOOOOM the car slows to a stop i try to move it more and just clunks :mad: .I get out and look under the car and see the half shaft broke.So i waved the track guys over and they helped push me out of the way.I got lucky and found a u joint only one but it was all i needed.So i work my butt off to get this u joint in and notice that the half shaft is bent on the part where the u joint goes in(must have did a good job breaking it).But i made it fit and put it back in the in hopes that i can run at least once since i payed to do it.So i get in to try and go around to get back to the staging lanes when i hear CLUNK so i get out again and look and see the diff mount really broken torn apart cry2.gif i just gave up didn't want to even try after that i didn't have enuf time.I saw what happend it broke the rubber strap and the cabled one i put on earlier it didn't break it but pulled all the cable coating off the aircraft cable i put on.So i fixed it so i could drive home and then tightend the cable up really good so i can drive it till the new mount comes in.So my day at the track really sucked :rolleyes:

Bummin dude, I was really hopin to at least hear you got one good run in. Well, it coulda been worse...my last time at the track I cracked the #6 cylinder wall to the water passage...smoke everywhere!!

I am still trying to mentally recover :(

P.S. No show = win!! tongue.gif

Guest zfan

Scotty, I feel your pain. My first time with the Z at Ennis/Texas Motorplex 1/4 mile track.

Racing LoneStar 1 and pop went my rear end, except mine was the third member! R180 imploded.

Mine was flat bedded home :( Better luck next time 2thumbs.gif

Mike

i think andy was scared that he would get whooped. :D If i can break u joints and mounts then i must be making some good power smile.gif I plan to run next weekend if my new diff mount comes and i have to plan on getting the cv adapters soon cuz i don't think the u joint ones will hold.The drive shaft is another problem i think i'll have next time so i plan to fix the problems before they become them.But i'll have a time slip next weekend cuz it's all test and tune all day long i plan to make some light runs with street tires and then strap on the slicks and see what she will do.I want to also put in some racing fuel and see what i can get out of her.Maybe also i'll have the ic from timz so it'll run even better.I have to say the car still scares me when i get into the boost and it's only at about 15 or so cuz the ic is leaking i think.Then maybe andy will have the guts to come and watch my fart pipe all the way doen the track tongue.gif I have to get my mount hopefully it'll be in thursday or sooner if not then maybe i'll weld mine so i can run it at the track.I wish someone made a nylon mount or something strong and quiet.I'd go with the solid one but i couldn't stand the noise it makes.I do have vid of me breaking the car it's really impressive seeing the burn out and even slipping the clutch slowly and it still spun and broke stuff.I also got the sound could hear the bov and turbo spool up it's nice to just hear that and the car looked nice while it broke :D Well i'll have a time sl;ip for you guys next saturday sorry.

Guest Anonymous

Um, no as I recall, Andy didn't agree to this weekend? No Show = Lucky for you! haha, can you see this in car video, 'Bank, clunk clunk' as Andy's car disappears ahead of you... :mad:

Seriously though, that's a bummer, I tell ya I gotta respect the torque the turbo sixes are making and breaking u-joints like that (especially Scottie-gnZ, his car with its big block torque, sick I tell ya..).

Regards,

Lone

Scotty put some CV axles in that thing and be done with it.

I have a mount that I am going to copy that will work at stabilizing the diff's in those cars. I have to go and get it from a friend and have it copied. It is pretty simple really.

At least your car can go to the track, mine is in pieces, and the turbo is sitting on the floor waiting to be sent to someone.

well i'm still driving mine andy after breaking all that stuff tongue.gif I figured it would go sometime soon cuz it was all stock 76 parts.But i have cv's i just need the cash to get a set of adapters from ross.I plan to have this job i have been doing done soon so i can afford them.And that "other" turbo guy would have your V8 as a vegetable drink rockon.gif I'll prolly call you tonight to find out about your adpaters.

Guest Anonymous

I had the same problem .i just buy genuine Nissan universals, i havn`t broken a half shaft since I started putting true Nissan units in the car. they are a bit pricy though.i am currently working on a Porsche 930 cv joint conversion with Sway Away drag axels to fit under my 510.also my rear subframe sits in aluminum bushings and my mustash bar has urethane bushings in it .I busted quite a few R-180 stub axles before i figured out that an R-200 with LSD and Nissan U-joints will live for more than just a burn out on the track.

Sorry to hear that it broke so much. Sounds like you have a plan for that.

Consider the "Pinion Snubber" that's a thread in the Drivetrain section. I recommend it as a streetable replacement for a high torque Z.

Oh man, there's just no stopping you, is there!?!

I tell ya, the abuse I get sometimes...

All I want to do is updates everyone's 1/4 mile times and instead I have to defend the honor of all us "real motor" Hybrid Z's rockon.gif

I've been done that path of "break a new driveline part every week". That was two years ago when I first started making some power. You will soon find out why us real motor guys call these parts "mandatory replacement" and not "optional upgrades". Call me if you need any advice or spiritual guidance. :D

-Andy

(Note to others: Please do not take this attitude of mine seriously, Scotty and I have a "virtual grudge match" going and it's all in good fun)